TechSpot

Regulators crack down on telemarketing scareware scammers

By Matthew
Oct 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Regulators from five countries including the US FTC have announced a crackdown on six scareware operations that imitated tech support agents to trick unwitting users into paying for the removal of fake malware. The scammers were mostly based in India...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,677   +511

That was a laugh.
  3. Good. My grandma almost got scammed by some guys claiming they were "Windows", who were trying to get her to buy a $300 "safety pack". Luckily, I'd just built her a PC a month before, so she deferred to me before making any stupid decisions.
  4. lipe123

lipe123 TechSpot Guru Posts: 423   +75

We got a call almost EVERY day from one of our customers saying that Microsoft just called them and told them their computers are infected.
    We even had a guy accuse us of installing a virus on his brand new pc lmao!

I'm glad they finally nailed these bastards!
  5. Jos likes this.
  6. I'm nearly A+ certified. I got a call from one of these scammers a few months ago. He told me he "sent messages to my computer" because of an infection. I asked him what my ip was, and of course, he immediately just restated that my computer is badly infected. I then asked him which one. He then said something like "sir, this is urgent your computer is badly infected!" I just told him he was bad at what he's doing and if he wants to trick me into giving away my money he will have to do better than that. Then I ended the call.
  7. WaveZero

WaveZero Newcomer, in training Posts: 41

LOL I usually waste as much time as possible on those fools. So they have less time to scam other people and yeah.
  8. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 336   +56

I haven't gotten one of these yet (got ones that looks for SS info or CC number) but they are fun to play with. Just pretend you are dumb and falling for it without actually giving anything away and you can be entertained for as long as you want spinning them in circles. Of course in the end you give them nothing and just hang up leaving them frustrated and with less time to try again so everyone wins :)
  9. Camikazi

Camikazi TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 336   +56

OMG that is awesome, that guy who recorded that conversation is just awesome. I'm gonna need to remember some of those lines in case I ever get one of these calls.
  10. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,421   +217

I screen all of my calls at home with my answering machine so I can't say if I've ever gotten one of those calls. Telemarketers typically hang up and don't leave a message when they hear my machine pick up. It's not as if I would return their call if they did anyway.
  11. My wife got one of these calls, luckily I was there to have fun with this lady. said the neighborhood was downloading malware without our knowledge. automatically assumed I had a windows pc, so I was playing with her that I had a mac instead. if I didn't have to go to work I would of spent more time trying to see where they wanted me to go on the comp. I tried to ask where she was calling from and all she would say is I'm calling from "the help desk" or "computer maintenance dept". lol

12. I once got called by one of these guys claiming my Windows PC was infected... so I told him I had a Mac (I don't :p ) and he was flabbergasted, he literally didn't know what to say and kept claiming my Windows PC had a virus. I told him to f**k off and I hung up on him.

These scammers are scum, the only reason I give them the time of day is so they have less time to scam others.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.