Reinstall of HP scanner 5100C

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidentally pulled the plug out of the back of the scanner when a tech disengaged my A-drive.

The scanner is now properly plugged in at the back, the light is on so I know the power bar is on. The main line is in the same position as it has been for the past 5 years.

So, the instructions are to a) put the disk of scanning software in, then shut down the computer, then hook it up, then restart the computer.

Because it is already hooked up everywhere, should I
A) put in the disk and turn off the computer, then turn it back on again? or
B) can I put in the disk, just reboot, and go from there?

I am nervous about the correct order of things and really don't want to phone my computer technician and have him make a call when it looks very simple.

Thank you very much. (I will follow instructions in the morning as it's almost 11 pm here and too late to start doing anything.)

Just hook it up and reboot. If it doesn't like what it finds, it will let you know.
Then you can delete the install set, download the latest install from HP, then reinstall the software, per instructions from Micrsoft..
You will not hurt anything...

Be aware that the 5100C had problems with some versions of Windows XP, so check the driver information carefully.

I doubt it will work with VISTA or Windows 7 at all.

Re install of hp scanner

Thank you ever so much.

I am a total ***** - only when I shut down for the night did I realize that I should have rebooted before bothering anyone.

Of course it works a treat this morning.

However, I have copied your response and will keep it in case I get into trouble again.

This scanner has functioned perfectly ever since I bought it years ago, through Windows 95, 98 and now XP. My computer is aging, and I appreciate the warning about horrible Vista and possible incompatibility.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back