Reinstall of Windows XP have drivers but can't install them

Hello

I recently started having problems with my desktop being very slow and crashing. I thought it may have been caused by a virus or just by the sheer weight of installed programs.I formatted and I have reinstalled Windows XP on my desktop having used driver extractor to extract all the drivers i thought i would need. When i reinstalled windows despite formatting it didn't ask for my windows key which i found strange. Since then i have been unable to install the drivers for the ethernet controller sm bus controller video controller and misc PCI device. As well as my Dynamode Wl-GI-700s usb wireless dongle.

Can you please help me to find better drivers or otherwise solve this problem.

Thank you for your help.

Normally if you cannot install the ethernet card it is because it nees the Chipset installed first.
Look in device manager for yellow exclamation points, you can get there by right mouse clicking on "My Computer" and select "Manage" the select "Device Manager".

What type or brand off computer and which XP OS are you running?

Thanks for the tip.

Normally if you cannot install the ethernet card it is because it nees the Chipset installed first.
Look in device manager for yellow exclamation points, you can get there by right mouse clicking on "My Computer" and select "Manage" the select "Device Manager".

What type or brand off computer and which XP OS are you running?

Hi there pjamme.

Sorry for the slow update i have been having problems getting online and my laptop (which i was using to connect online and get info re the update( has now died.

Thanks for the tip i managed to install the chipset and was then able to install the ethernet cards and other bits and pieces. I am running XP on a Dell Dimension 5150.

I have a question regarding that by the way. As i think i mentioned when i re-installed windows i wasn't asked for my windows licensing key. Now i have checked and the number on there is not correct and i don't think is in the format of a windows key at al. WIll this cause me problems? My wireless network keeps failing to connect claiming some kind of certificate problem, is this related?

Thanks again for your help.

With a Dell you are using an OEM license and what you see as the key probably won't match what is written on the case. Especially if it was a Vista downgraded to XP, very common, I did dozens of those. Unless it tells you you aren't activated and have 30 days I wouldn't worry about that.
Wireless is something else, you might want to repost for that issue, showing your errors, etc.
Are you using the windows to set up your wireless or whatever program came from Dell? I would recommend using windows to set it up, less mumbo jumbo, is that a word?

Back