Reinstall Radeon 9200

I'm running an HP a3040n machine with Win XP PRO/SP3 with all MS updates.
Would this be the correct sequence to re-install the 9200 Radeon?
1. Boot machine into Safe Mode
2. Use add/remove programs to remove all (old) ATI files
3. Install 9200 Radeon card to PCI slot
4. Shut down computer
5. connect VGA cable from 9200 to monitor
6. Re-boot machine into bios and set primary video to PCI
7. Install latest driver from ATI

Thanks for looking...

Do step 3 after step 4. Don't want to be physically installing (or removing) hardware while the PC is on.

I would also add a step 2.5 where you delete anything your display adapter from device manager too.

6 is necessary if you are going from onboard to a PCI card. Are you sure the 9200 is a step up though? Thats a really old card. What is the onboard card, something like a Rage Fury?

I properly installed the card and the correct drivers. There was no video output on either the DVI or the VGA interfaces. I now believe that the Radeon card is defective.

Are you sure? It may well be, esp with a card that old.

But, per your instructions, (and my good judgment) you shouldn't have installed the drivers before installing the card. When you put the card in, your system should have had, video drivers removed by you and the hardware removed from device manager.

So when you try to boot with the new card you should.... OH here may be your problem.. You need to install the PCI card, but do not connect the monitor to it yet. Keep it on the onboard connection. Now boot into bios and change it to PCI. Reboot after saving changes in the BIOS. NOW you connect the monitor to the PCI card. That should do it.

Back