Reintalled Windows XP and my old files are now inaccessable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to irreparable problems with my OS, I had to reinstall Windows XP. I was able to access my old guest account's files without a problem, but my personal files on the password protected administrator account are deemed inaccessible. Nothing I try has allowed me to access the files. I know all of the information is still on my hard drive since I can see the space is still taken up but it will not let me do anything to the file. I can't copy it, view it, delete, it nothing.

Can anyone please help me gain access to my old account files?

If taking ownership does not work, you could burn a CD of a small version of Linux, such as Ubuntu. Boot from it and it enables all read-write facilities over the Windows files.

Somewhat more difficult is to download and burn a special CD called UBCD4Win http://download.cnet.com/UBCD4Win/3000-2086_4-10550208.html snag with this for some people, it needs an original retail version of Windows on CD to create a non-crippled version which runs like, and looks like windows itself, but does not have the restrictions of 'real' windows. It is designed for delousing any windows of trojans/viruses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back