Relatively new machine - Daily random freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Built a new machine last december, and have had intermittent, and consistently worse issues with freezing as time has gone on. First-specs:

Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Antic Tower / Earthwatts 500W supply
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz
Asus M4A78T-E DDR3 motherboard
4 x 2GB Mushkin 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
Sapphire ATI/Radeon HD 4870 1GB vid card
3x 1TB Seagate 7200RPM drives
(also D-link wireless card / Sony DVD drive / internal CF card reader)

FROM EVENT MANAGER: Event manager logs a Kernal-Power error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." - get this event error after every freeze / restart

The problem: my machine freezes randomly throughout the day, most days. Sometimes it works all day without issue, then freezes (mouse/keyboard unresponsive) repeatedly 3 or 4 times. When it freezes, the mouse/keyboard become instantly unresponsive, music playing in the background goes "BZZZZZZZZ" through the speakers (think vuvazela here), complete instant freeze. The freezes seem unrelated to heavy load. It will freeze when windows is idle with no programs running. It may freeze more when there is a heavy load (exporting photos from lightroom), but hard to say as it hasn't been consistent enough to determine if this is my imagination or not.

1) Freezes during start up - sometimes it will freeze during start up, before it gets to the windows login screen. Usually only does this once, requires reboot. Sometimes I get hyper threading error or chassis intrusion error, although I think these are somewhat random (could be wrong).

2) Freezes during windows login (before or after i login). When it gets to this point, it will sometimes freeze once or twice during login, requiring restart.

3) Freezes upon loadup. Windows loads, and within 30 seconds of loading, freezes completely, This might happen once or up to 3 or 4 times.

4) I get it started, loads into windows, and is then fine for a couple hours.

Essentially, when it freezes, it freezes 3 - 6 times in a row before I can get it started to the point it is stable. It will often work fine for a while before freezing again. Usually it only does this maybe once or twice a day.

I'm not sure if its the crappy power supply, motherboard/processor/grahpics card issue, or some sort of driver issue. Seems to me it's a hardware issue because it will also freeze during the first bios loadup.

NOTE: I don't usually get any error or recovery once windows loads up (ie 'windows has recovered from a serious error). I've gotten that maybe once or twice. I always get the 'start computer in safe mode, start windows normally' screen when it crashes, i usually start normally, and eventually it loads up and is stable for 4-8 hours.

Hope you guys can help! Thanks! Recommendation for diagnostics, updates, anything would be much appreciated!!!

No blue screens... Screen just freezes 'as is' doesn't go black, blue, nothing... Just freezes. Also, ran memtest with no problems.

How many passes with memtest?

Since this is an Asus board and Asus boards are quite well known aboput being picky about what RAM may be utilized for each and every model they make find the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for your motherboard and seeif your Mushkin is on that list. The list, however, isn't exshaustive.

Also, find the voltage specs of your RAM and compare it to the voltage setting in your BIOS. Do they match?

Not sure the total number of passes, the test took over an hour to tech 100% total, so quite a few passes.

Could it be a psu issue perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back