Reminder: Support for Windows 2000, XP SP2 ends July 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

A friendly reminder to those of you still running Windows 2000 and XP SP2, you have until July 13 to upgrade – if you want Microsoft's blessings, anyway. That date marks the end of Redmond's official support, which includes security updates, support assistance, and paid support. The company will still offer self-help online support, such as online Knowledge Base articles, FAQs, troubleshooting tools, and other resources for at least a year.

Windows 2000 users will have to migrate to a more recent edition of Windows, such as Windows 7, but Windows XP SP2 users have a simple workaround: Install SP3. Doing so will grant you official support until April 8, 2014. Note that the 64-bit version of Windows XP does not have SP3, so support for XP x64 SP2 will continue until April 8, 2014.

If you aren't sure what version of Windows XP you're running, simply click Start, open Run, and enter winver. You can download Windows XP SP3 through Windows Update or as a standalone installer, though the former is recommended for home users. Microsoft has whipped up a comparison table of XP, Vista and 7 if you're looking for more incentive to upgrade.

Permalink to story.

nice list, lol I pretty sure XP can do most of what Windows 7 can but w/e btw
"Note that the 64-bit version of Windows XP does not have SP3, so support for XP x64 SP2 will continue until April 8, 2014." if it doesn't support SP3 then it will also end on July just like SP2 on XP.

well does xp support for applications end here
no way its immpossible
and besides its the highest used operating system on the market xp rules

To be perfectly clear here, it's only the second service pack that is losing support -- not XP itself. XP (with SP3) is supported until April 2014.

I say if you still have XP running they should support until everyone is running 7 or 8 or 9 or 10? Hardware out lives the software today. I got gear that can't support 7 or if your run it just going to be slow.

Hardware out lives the software today. I got gear that can't support 7 or if your run it just going to be slow.

no way. hardware falls behind much faster. remember ddr ram with pci gfx card was cookin when xp was released.......so far behind now while xp lives on. true, all of us techies have dinosaur cpus that have been pieced together from different projects over the years but you gotta admit they are way behind by todays standard

Guest said:
I pretty sure XP can do most of what Windows 7 can

You obviously have never used Windows 7. Don't talk about something you know nothing about. Without 3rd party programs that slow XP down, it can't do what Win7 comes stock with.

So finally Windows 2000 can be said to have reached it's "mature" stage ;)
Good good, then I will upgrade to it this weekend :p

Thank god for notsupporting Windows 2000 as it is becoming a hassle to have to deal with in corporate environments. This will be a nice push for companies to at least baseline with XP and make our IT jobs much easier not dealing with 10 year old software. Windows 7 was finally a decent release of an OS from Microsoft as Vista was a horrible fail for them just like when Windows ME was released and totally sucked.

Be that as it may, Windows 7 is barely a decent OS. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stuck in the past and I approve of, and support innovation, but I'll be sticking with XP64 until I'm forced out or they build a better OS. There's very little that doesn't work just as well, or better on XP64.

This whole thing is a ploy by Microsoft to make people upgrade Windows.

Why do they not say in their own message that Windows SP3 is supported till 2014? I have seen so many people get fooled, not realizing or remembering that the latest service pack for Windows XP is SP3 (for 32-bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back