Remote Access Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jboman

When I attempt to remote from home into my computer at work I'm receiving the following message:
This computer can't connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again. If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.

I'm attempting to remote into my computer at work from home using a laptop, Dell Latitude D620. I'm using MSTSC (RDC) and OS is Windows XP Professional. I'm using Cisco VPN 5.0.00.0340 and have been granted remote access by System Admin and Info Security.

VPN is working just fine as I can connect to our company intranet. I just can't remote into my work computer from home through VPN Connection, as vpn connection must be established first in order to RDP/RDC into our work computers.

I had desktop support at work check my work computer to verify I have the correct settings to remote into my computer at work from home.

I even checked by right clicking on 'my computer', then left clicking on properties, and when system properties appears I left clicked on the Remote Tab. Under "Remote Desktop" I verified " Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" is checked, and then I clicked on " Select Remote Users " to verify I had been added. I then proceed to check security policy by going to start, then run, then typed in the run field secpol.msc. Under Local Polices, then User Rights Assignment in the right pane I looked for " Allow logon through Terminal Services " then by double clicking to verify " Remote Desktop User" is added. Then I looked for " Deny Logon through Terminal Services in the same right pane and double clicked on to verify "Remote Desktop" User is not added.

So, why I'm I unable to remote into my work computer and receivng the above message?

Also, I was able to remote into my work computer for 20 minutes, then I decided to disconnect to check if I could reconnect, but to no avail, and upon doing so received this message as follows:
vpn error the client couldnt connect to the remote computer, remote connection might not be enabled or the computer might be to busy to except new connections, it is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection
please try your connection again later. if the problem continues to occur contact your administrator

I need help, immediate assistance. As I must be able to remote into my work computer to perform my duties from home, it's imperative.

Jboman.

Whenever I have seen a similar problem connecting to a VPN at work, it has almost always been a problem with the network and/or VPN at work. You and your tech support have verified that your machine is set up correctly, so I would throw this back into the lap of the admin who is responsible for the VPN as I do not believe that you will be able to fix this with an adjustment to your machine.

Thanks NetCablesPlus for replying as soon as you did.

I apologize for getting back at you so late with a reply.

I will consult with Sys Admin as you suggested.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again NetCablesPlus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back