Remote control over net

Status
Not open for further replies.

junja

Good day all.
I'm looking at controlling a remote computer (probably a 2k vps) and can't figure out exactly what software is needed. The controlling systems would be 2k and xp (so Remote Desktop wouldn't be sufficient, as far as I can make out).
Does one need one program for logging in and another to do the interaction?
Someone suggested logmein.com and Ultra VNC, both of which are available in free versions I believe.
Isn't there something (free) which would do both tasks? (Hamachi isn't free, I believe?)
Best of all, could someone point me to a general introduction to all this. One can find plenty of help on specific things like VNC but an overview is harder to find.
Junja

Good day all.
1-I'm looking at controlling a remote computer

2-The controlling systems would be 2k and xp (so Remote Desktop wouldn't be sufficient, as far as I can make out).

3-Does one need one program for logging in and another to do the interaction?

1-Remote Desktop is the first choice, but

2-Remote Desktop application I downloaded from Microsoft but it only allows me to connect FROM my w2k box TO a WinXP box, not the other way around :(
RealVNC and TightVNC are alternatives also google teamviewer

Also saw this
download remote desktop from microsoft and install it on the win2k machine you can remote the xp after that. Other way round isnt possible with basic installation​

3- login vs interaction?? Login is not related to Remote Desktop per se, it's an OS feature. I think you're really asking
do I need separate programs on the target system to be controlled vs. the system I use to perform the controlling operations.​
This depends upon the specific program used, in which case the TARGET system will need the SERVER program and your remote controlling system will need the CLIENT program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back