Remote control software

Status
Not open for further replies.

oct714

Hello,

I need some advice regarding unexpensive remote control software.

I am the typical guy who is always asked to help with computer stuff from family, relatives and friends. Sometimes I also need to guide people over the phone regarding their computer issues. Recently I heard about these remote control programs, which I believed were only available for static IP address connections.

I have helped people through instant messengers, and I was wondering if there is software that can be used to access & control their pc's on yahoo or msn messenger.

Any input would be appreciated

Hello oct714

My advice and free (looks complex but really is not)

Go here and get UltraVNC http://majorgeeks.com/UltrVNC_d4143.html

Do full install on your computer but not install as a service.

During 1st run or at end of install you will get an Admin Properties screen, on the left half way down delete out the dots and put in a simple password like govnc or similar that you will easily remember.

When you finish you will have 2 new Icons with the VNC Eyeball. One will be the Server Blue (using the instructions below you as helper will not use this one).

Rt click the Green Viewer and then create Shortcut, once this new Shortcut is made rename it "UltraVNC Viewer Listen" then rt click and chose properties.

Click into Target line. Then add a space and -listen.

It will look like this. "C:\Program Files\UltraVNC\vncviewer.exe" -listen

Dbl click this to run. Goes to system tray at bottom right. If the Firewall or Windows Defender pop up always allow this. Give it permission.

Apply OK!

Have them do the same install on their end. Including the same password.

Once installed have them to Run the Server. It also will load into the system tray.

Once it is loaded to the system on their end, you have them to Rt click the Tray Icon, click Add new Client the click the Host block and enter your IP number. They will be contacting you. Doing it this way avoids router and firewall protections and forwarding on their end.

If you have a Dynamic IP (changes sometimes). You can get your current WAN (Internet) IP from
http://www.canyouseeme.org this is the number you give them to make the connection.

You will have full control and able to transfer files and on a good connection the screen will be almost as fast as your normal screen.

If you have a router you may need to port forward from router to your LAN IP, not the WAN IP from canyouseeme.

If you need this or help with this get back to me.

If you are directly connected to a Cable/DSL modem you will no need port forwarding only with a router.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back