Remote Desktop Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manolo

I have a Windows XP Pro at work and so far I have been connecting from home (Win XP Pro as well) via Remote Desktop Connection (RDC). Now I want to buy a new laptop for home and I want to still be able to connect to my work computer. Do I need Windows Vista Business to use RDC or Windows Vista Home will allow me to connect?

Well, you need Windows Vista Business to receive connections from others computers. Do you also need Vista Business to connect to a remote desktop server?

yes. only business and higher have the rdc. you can use 3rd party utilities with any version but rdc is only on business and higher. thats the way it is period.

Why not look at Radmin. Cheap, extremely secure and does everything Remote Desktop does, plus a whole load of other things like file transfer.

I would wait until Windows 7 is released, or just make sure the laptop you get lets you upgrade to Windows 7 for free. I absolutely hated Vista, I won't even get into it. But I have been quite impressed with Windows 7. Microsoft definitely redeemed themselves, but I'll be keeping Ubuntu 9.04 as my main OS.

I would wait until Windows 7 is released, or just make sure the laptop you get lets you upgrade to Windows 7 for free. I absolutely hated Vista, I won't even get into it. But I have been quite impressed with Windows 7. Microsoft definitely redeemed themselves, but I'll be keeping Ubuntu 9.04 as my main OS.

So will Win 7 have Remote Desktop Connection in the Home edition?

Even though Business may the only version that includes RDC, it odesn't necessarily mean the other versions won't run RDC. I've heard of users out there installing the RDC in Vista Premium and it works well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back