TechSpot

Removal of DWWIN.EXE error message

By Gouge
Feb 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I just had my PC cleaned via this forum - all seems to be working great, except for one problem:

Every time I shut down or reboot the PC I get an error message about DWWIN.EXE. :mad:

I've been onto the site that is supposed to fix it, but it hasn't. I've even been into the Registry REGEDIT and the entry is not there, yet I still get the error message.

It's more an annoyance than anything, but I'd be grateful if someone can help me fix it.

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Do you have your Windows OS disk?

3. Gouge

Gouge TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 129

Yes, I have the original XP disc.

(Sorry I've taken so long to answer - been working on another thread.)

4. Route44

5. Gouge

That seems somewhat drastic considering that it's an inconvenience only. I wouldn't want to risk losing data as the instructions suggest is possible.

I used the microsoft fix before so I'll try that again first without virus protection running.

6. Gouge

Sorted!! :)

I downloaded "Process Explorer" and it immediately showed that CTHelper.exe (a Creative file) was to blame.

I disabled it from Startup and the problem has gone away.

Whether other problems will result from doing this, I have yet to find out.

7. Route44

Thanks for the update. Creative files/drivers are known to cause issues. Glad all is stable now.