Remove dual-boot Windows 7+7

lopdog

Hi!

I'm currently running Windows 7 Profesional, and a few months ago I installed a second version of Windows 7 (Ultimate) for testing purposes. Now I want to remove the last version I installed, and go back to only Windows 7 pro. How can I do this without messing up the boot process, since the last version I installed took control of this?

If my memory serves me right I don't think you can. I may be wrong but you may have to format and reinstall Windows 7 Pro.

The problem is that I want to avoid re-install, since I have a lot of programs installed and configured. Would it be possible to remove the new (windows 7 ultimate) partition, and use the Windows 7 DVD to repair the boot sector?

I remember seeing a 'Repair Master Boot Record' option when I latest used a Vista recovery DVD. You should check your recovery DVD for this option, and if it's there, you'd be pretty much set for removing the partition.

Now, I have not done this personally, but it sounds theoretically possible. Thus I'd prefer to be without blame if something happens any way :eek: .

When I latest did this with a dual-boot Ubuntu vs. Windows 7, I crashed it to smitherenes, and had to re-install BOTH operating systems. Luckily, I made an extensive backup on both OS' files. I suggest you backup everything important before proceeding.

That was not because of a Repair MBR option, but because I ******* up GRUB (sort-of Linux's bootloader) btw.

Back