Remove dual-boot Windows 7+7

By lopdog
Aug 2, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi!

I'm currently running Windows 7 Profesional, and a few months ago I installed a second version of Windows 7 (Ultimate) for testing purposes. Now I want to remove the last version I installed, and go back to only Windows 7 pro. How can I do this without messing up the boot process, since the last version I installed took control of this?
  2. HiDDeNMisT

HiDDeNMisT TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 191   +10

If my memory serves me right I don't think you can. I may be wrong but you may have to format and reinstall Windows 7 Pro.
  3. lopdog

lopdog TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 378

The problem is that I want to avoid re-install, since I have a lot of programs installed and configured. Would it be possible to remove the new (windows 7 ultimate) partition, and use the Windows 7 DVD to repair the boot sector?
  4. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

I remember seeing a 'Repair Master Boot Record' option when I latest used a Vista recovery DVD. You should check your recovery DVD for this option, and if it's there, you'd be pretty much set for removing the partition.

Now, I have not done this personally, but it sounds theoretically possible. Thus I'd prefer to be without blame if something happens any way :eek: .

When I latest did this with a dual-boot Ubuntu vs. Windows 7, I crashed it to smitherenes, and had to re-install BOTH operating systems. Luckily, I made an extensive backup on both OS' files. I suggest you backup everything important before proceeding.

That was not because of a Repair MBR option, but because I ******* up GRUB (sort-of Linux's bootloader) btw.
  5. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

6. lopdog

lopdog TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 378

Automatic repair worked perfectly, it took me 5 minutes. Thank you.
  7. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +97

Your welcome :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.