Remove mobsync.exe from Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseM

Does anyone know how to keep mobsync.exe from starting up in Vista (Premium)? I've spent a decent amount of time around Google on the topic, seems like nobody has posted a fix. Thanks.

To disable offline files simply do this.

1. Click Start (Windows Orb)
2. Click Control Panel > Network and Internet > Offline Files
3. Click the Disable Offline Files button
4. If prompted by the UAC, Click Continue
5. You will then be prompted to restart your computer. Click Yes.

When your computer has restarted Offline Files will be disabled.

Another method also you can use is to do this.

1. Click Start (Windows Orb)
2. Search for "service" in the search bar.
3. Click on services when search finished.
4. Search for Offline Files in services
5. Right Click and stop it.
6. For it to not start next time you switch on your PC, Disable it for next start.

P.S Offline Files is normally only for Windows Vista Ultimate only.

Disabling Offline Files for Vista doesn't stop mobsync.exe

Myself and many others have used Offline Files to try and disable mobsync.exe on Vista. This doesn't work. I've seen it myself and there are numerous posts on the web to that effect. mobsync.exe still runs when a USB device is inserted. Furthermore, this happens on all versions of Vista. I've seen it on both Vista Business and Vista Home Premium.

To quote the information from my web site:

"Even with Offline Files disabled, Indexing disabled, and no SyncCenter tasks existing in Task Scheduler, this annoying program is activated whenever I connect a USB drive type of device."

That's why I developed alternative disabling tools.

BTW, both Vista Ultimate and Vista Business have the Offline Files control panel applet; neither Home version of Vista has this applet.

Maybe all version has mobsync.exe but I never see offline files on Other Vista than Vista Ultimate. As example if you go to services on Vista Home Premium there aren't any Service for Offline files, same for Home Basic

This may be a bit late however its handy for other users

Mobsync!?

We all at some stage have asked the question ‘What the hell is mobsync and how do i disable it?’ and been left scratching your head, especially if your the proud owner of Windows Vista.

Well to be straight with you it annoys me when people give definite answers on how to disable the feature when clearly its not the same as XP, Speculation has lead people to believe its a networking tool for your Internet connection, well almost right but not quite. Then that its windows media player, again its almost there but not quite and finally that its an Microsoft tool for reporting which is a bit stupid to be honest …

Thankfully there is a simpler explanation to the question and an even simpler resolution and it is as follows

What is Mobsync and how can i disable it?

Mobsync is a Microsoft owned tool which enforces group policy for removable mass-storage devices.

It simply enables applications such as Windows Media Player and Image Import Wizard to transfer and synchronize content using removable mass-storage devices. thus allowing you to plug in a USB, External hard drive or even a wireless media center for PS3 or Xbox Elite.

Thankfully it is seriously easy to stop this services from auto running on start up

1. Select ‘Start’ (The ‘Start’ button) and type ‘Services’

2. From the results shown in the ‘Start’ menu select the option called ‘Services’

3. Scroll down the page until you locate a service called ‘Portable Device Enumerator Service’

4. Double click this service

5. On the ‘General’ tab (You should be on this already) half way down the page, change the ‘Startup Type’ to ‘Manual’

6. Select ‘Stop’ which is directly underneath the previous option

7. Now select ‘Apply’

For those with UAC activated select ‘Continue’ however this should now stop mobsync from running at startup and as you have set this service to run manually it will only be used when you actually sync devices on your PC or Laptop.

This will NOT effect any other services on you computer.

So there you have it in a simple nut shell, the actual answer and the actual resolution

Regards

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back