Removing dual-boot OS and partition to increase space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Win XP PRO as one boot option, and WIN HOME as another.

I want to remove the Win XP PRO and then utilize the space for my WIN HOME directory.

I am looking to increase my usable hard drive in WIN HOME.

Can this be done?

Not easily, and it depends somewhat on what was installed first, and what Service Packs were on those first two installs of Windows XP..
I assume that Windows XP Professional was the primary install, because it normally will not tolerate being second to XP Home.

If it were my machine, I would buy a new hard drive and install Windows XP Professional, then install this current drive as a slave, and remove what you want to the new drive.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

Smart answer. It was not really what I wanted to hear, because I would have preferred to find a way to do it without spending money. But I think my time would be better spent if I take your advice.

Thanks again.

Daniel

Removing WinXP Pro from Dual boot

It may be simple to remove xp pro and leave home xp on your computer.

If xp home is on the PRIMARY, ACTIVE partition, you can use a disk manager like Acronis Disk Manager to just delete the xp pro partition. Then, after booting into the xp home partition, modify the boot.ini and delete the entry to the deleted xp pro. Reboot with the Acronis disk manager CD and resize the xp home partition to include the recovered space.

If the xp pro is the PRIMARY, ACTIVE partition, it will be more difficult, but doable. You MUST have the original xp home installation CD. Using the Acronis disk manager from a bootable Acronis recovery CD, delete the xp pro partition and then change the xp home partition to a PRIMARY partition if it is not a PRIMARY already. Be sure to set the xp home PRIMARY partition to ACTIVE. Replace the Acronis boot disk with xp home installation CD and boot to it. Choose, install and then REPAIR for a reinstallation of xp home over the old xp home. DO NOT choose "R" at the first xp home installation screen. After finishing the reinstall and booting into the xp home partition to make sure all is ok, put the Acronis disk manager cd back into the drive and boot to Acronis disk manager and RESIZE the xp home to include the space given up by the erased xp pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back