Removing fedora and installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way of installing windows XP again on my computer after installing vedora, because I installed fedora a while ago and my computer doesn't have drivers for the linux OS so I wanted to reinstall XP but whenever I tried to the CD wouldn't boot it just stayed in a black screen. It is my first time installing a linux OS and I don't know how to use the boot menus to take the OS out.
So can anyone tell me a step by step guide to reinstall windows XP on my computer, I don't have a floppy drive but I do have windows 98,XP, and the fedora DVD.

You have to make sure the computer is set to boot from the cd/dvd drive, put in a Windows XP cd, (You need an XP cd) press any key when prompted then follow the prompts to install Windows. When asked use the partition that has Linux on it and then format the drive. Windows will then install and remove Linux.

the computer is set to boot on the CD/DVD drive I get the part where it says press any key to continue then it just stays in a black screen and doesn't do anything and when I try 98 it goes to the blue screen but stays frozen.

Then it could be bad memory or hard drive or video card. Try these steps one at a time. Remove and re-seat the video card if it is not an on-board unit. Remove one memory module at a time if you have more than one installed. To test the hard drive download an Ultimate Boot CD from here and try to boot the computer with it and use the hard drive and memory tools to test your hardware. Hard to diagnose without being in front of it, sorry!

If the boot order is set correctly in BIOS. (CD/ DVD drive first)

And your HDD set (in BIOS) to run as IDE, Windows should overwrite Linux.

What can screw you up here is if you damaged the LInux bootloader, the system may hang. If the Linux bootloader is intact and it offers you an option of "Windows NT", that will lead you to the recovery partition. The recovery option is usually only an option in a store bought comp with Windows preloaded.

Last resort is to wipe the drive completely with a program such as this: http://www.dban.org/

This is drastic, and final, you should get what files you can off the drive before you resort to this approach, as this will destroy everything on the drive.

Have you tried the methods in the Linux forum you linked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back