TechSpot

Removing "line in" echo from Realtek HD Audio output (if it is not a sound effect)

By Swing Daddy
Mar 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I just solved my own problem and thought others might benefit, since I could not find the solution using internet search.

My Realtek HD Audio manager seemed to be creating an echo on my "Line In" audio signal. I had already set the 'environment' and 'equalizer' sound effects options to <None>, but the echo persisted. I found the problem seems that I was essentially duplicating the Line In audio stream.

The first "source" I found was the HD Audio manager. You can open the manager and view the 'Line In' tab - mine had a non-zero playback volume (the slider was NOT all the way to the left for zero playback). If you want output from the HD Manager, that makes sense.

I also found out a second Line In "source". It was in the 'Line In' properties settings where I had checked off the option to "Listen to this device." When I disabled that, the echo disappeared.

To view this 'Line In' properties tab, right-click on the speaker icon in the notification area, then select Recording Devices (yes, "Recording"). Then, the tab will display in a window with the title 'Sound'. You should see the Line In device in the list. Right-click on this item and select Properties. The 'Line In' properties window pops up. Then select the 'Listen' tab. UNselect 'Listen to this device'. The echo should disappear if you're experiencing my problem.

I hope this helps someone. I'm just trying to help the community from which I've received so much help. :grinthumb

Mentor Milla likes this.
  2. Michelle929

Michelle929 TS Rookie

Two same signals

You're doing the right thing... getting rid of the other input signal.

3. Jason25

Jason25 TS Rookie

Hello

I have the same problem and I just came across this thread. Yes, unselecting 'Listen to this device' does get rid of the echo. However the sound isn't great compared to leaving it ticked (bar the echo). In sound properties, under the playback tab, if you disable all playback devices, sound is still coming from somewhere, what is it? Some default inner speaker? I take it that is what is causing the echo. Is there anyway to disable this?

4. Gunga Din

Gunga Din TS Rookie

Thanks, Swing Daddy. Very helpful info!

5. blahiblipblah

blahiblipblah TS Rookie

I also just fixed this by opening volume mixer, then clicking on the device icon, next the enhancements tab and selecting "none" under setting... Somehow it was set to sewer pipe even though I have never changed any settings.

6. Pauly

Pauly TS Rookie

You may have a sample rate problem. I had the same echoey issue and mine was resolved with making sure the windows sample rate was the same as the Realtek HD sample rate. Both should be set to 16bit 48000Hz. Go to Control Panel > Sound > Speakers (Realtek Audio Device) > Properties > Advanced then select the above sample rate from the drop-down menu and apply. In the Realtek Menu (click on speaker icon in bottom right of Windows) Select the Default Format tab then make sure the same sample rate is listed in that drop-down menu.

Hope this helps.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.