TechSpot

Removing Old, Deleted Partitions???

By JWL
Apr 24, 2004
  1. Hey,

Is there an easy way to remove partitions which are no longer recognized by Windows? I can see them with a program called, TestDisk. I want to partition my HD again, but I want to get rid of these deleted partitions which still exist on my HD.

I want to do this without erasing the whole parition table. And I would prefer not to use FDISK. I am on a laptop and do not have a 3.5. Floppy to make a boot disk with.

Thanks,

JWL

2. OS samurai

OS samurai TS Rookie Posts: 159

Unless I am mistaken you should be able to use fdisk to remove the partitions & create free space from just the partitions you want to remove what file system is on the partitions you want to remove? Check out this site for help with making a bootable CD http://www.bootdisk.com/

3. JWL

JWL TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hey,

Thanks for writing. My entire HD is NTFS. I have Windows XP Pro installed.

What happened...is that I partitioned my HD using Partition Magic. And when I went to resize one of the partitions windows crashed in the process, so I had to reformat my HD. When XP started back up..I went to My Computer, but it didn't recognize the Partitions. I never deleted them..they just got lost by accident...but now..I want to erase them before I partition my HD again.

JWL

4. OS samurai

Do you have an OEM version of windows or just a restore CD?
    IMHO the best thing to do would be to create a bootable CD and then use fdisk to create free space out of the partitions you want to remove and then go from there!

5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You should be able to use Partition Magic to see and change the partitions. Give that a shot again.

6. JWL

Oh...I have definitely tried to use PM, but the partitions do not show up in that program. I know they are still somewhere, because I can see them with 2 other programs. R-Studio..and TESKDISK.

I recovered all the data from the partitions using R-Studio...I had no problems what-so-ever (even though my C: had been reformatted and XP reinstalled) because they still registered as seperate drives with that program.

I think I can undelete them using TestDisk, but I want to just erase them completely and start over with a 'virgin' drive.

7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Start / Run / diskmgmt.msc

8. JWL

I've tried Disk Manager...they don't show up...You think FDISK will detect them if R-studio and Testdisk did? Can I remove them that way?

9. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

No.

10. OS samurai

sorry for taking do long to get back to you,
    since R-stuido was unable to see the partitions fdisk will not see the either :(

11. JWL

Hey Samurai,

No..I am saying that I CAN SEE them with R-studio. I used that program to recover all the data that was on the lost partitions. R-Studio still recognizes all of the partitions I lost. So FDisk will work???

12. OS samurai

yyou could try using fdisk and see if it see's the partitions

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.