Removing Old, Deleted Partitions???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Is there an easy way to remove partitions which are no longer recognized by Windows? I can see them with a program called, TestDisk. I want to partition my HD again, but I want to get rid of these deleted partitions which still exist on my HD.

I want to do this without erasing the whole parition table. And I would prefer not to use FDISK. I am on a laptop and do not have a 3.5. Floppy to make a boot disk with.

Thanks,

JWL

Unless I am mistaken you should be able to use fdisk to remove the partitions & create free space from just the partitions you want to remove what file system is on the partitions you want to remove? Check out this site for help with making a bootable CD http://www.bootdisk.com/

Hey,

Thanks for writing. My entire HD is NTFS. I have Windows XP Pro installed.

What happened...is that I partitioned my HD using Partition Magic. And when I went to resize one of the partitions windows crashed in the process, so I had to reformat my HD. When XP started back up..I went to My Computer, but it didn't recognize the Partitions. I never deleted them..they just got lost by accident...but now..I want to erase them before I partition my HD again.

JWL

Do you have an OEM version of windows or just a restore CD?
IMHO the best thing to do would be to create a bootable CD and then use fdisk to create free space out of the partitions you want to remove and then go from there!

Oh...I have definitely tried to use PM, but the partitions do not show up in that program. I know they are still somewhere, because I can see them with 2 other programs. R-Studio..and TESKDISK.

I recovered all the data from the partitions using R-Studio...I had no problems what-so-ever (even though my C: had been reformatted and XP reinstalled) because they still registered as seperate drives with that program.

I think I can undelete them using TestDisk, but I want to just erase them completely and start over with a 'virgin' drive.

I've tried Disk Manager...they don't show up...You think FDISK will detect them if R-studio and Testdisk did? Can I remove them that way?

sorry for taking do long to get back to you,
since R-stuido was unable to see the partitions fdisk will not see the either :(

Hey Samurai,

No..I am saying that I CAN SEE them with R-studio. I used that program to recover all the data that was on the lost partitions. R-Studio still recognizes all of the partitions I lost. So FDisk will work???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back