TechSpot

removing programs in the registry

By plusfourfour
Mar 25, 2002
  1. Hi! :grinthumb I am trying to get to grips with windows and I am relatively inexperienced but at a stage of learning quite a lot per day. I have some audio DX plugins and I cannot remove them from my registry win98SE Grrrr. I tried to re-install the same plugins but the installer behaved as if they were already in the system (even when I tried deleteing them). I'll just have to put up with it I suppose.

have a nice day anyway. :blush:

2. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

Have you tried using a program like RegCleaner to clean out old programs??? It can be found here:

http://www.jv16.org/

This kind of program easily cleans out old registry settings with little chance of damaging a registry.

3. plusfourfour

plusfourfour Topic Starter

oh!

I'll try that then, thanks. Is there a freeware program that backsup windows 98SE and your chosen directories? In case my hard disk breaks down. then I could buy a new disk and copy everything important back. I suppose this is not possible and I should just backup directories? :rolleyes:

4. SuperCheetah

SuperCheetah TS Rookie Posts: 868

I suppose you mean backing up your entire hard drive. So, there is Norton Ghost that does it, EZ-Imager, Partition Magic (my favorite), among others. Not many of these are freeware, but I'll keep looking.

Seems that Windows already has a built in backup with 98SE. Do a google search and you'll find plenty of programs to back up your hard drive.

Also, I believe the RegCleaner program will back up your registry if you want.

Hope this helps!!! :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.