Removing virus from USB-stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

My U3 USB-stick has been infected by a virus from an internet-café. I tried to remove it on my home-computer (using safe-mode with command line to avoid infection, I don´t trust my antivirus on this.)
I typed "dir /ah" and found two files, autorun.inf and hidwg20.exe. Then I typed "attrib -s -a -h *.*" and "del autorun.inf"
This has worked before with other virus, but now I got a message saying "access denied". Is it because the file is in use (virus already activated on my computer) or are there any other commands to get access to the file. When I did the same thing with the .exe file, the message said "File no found".

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks. The problem is that I´m afraid to plug in the stick because the virus could "autorun" and install itself on my computer. Would it be enough to keep the Shift-key pressed while inserting the stick to avoid the Autorun - function?

If you have any competent antivirus or antispyware programs, they'd probably catch it. Why don't you try running the app I gave you in Safe Mode? Otherwise, if you want to play it safe, just format it from the Command Prompt.

I got rid of it typing "attrib -r *.*" in safemode. After that I was able to delete the files. But thanks for the program. Just in case, will it remove any virus from my USB stick? What kind of program is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back