Repair Installation of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptim

I'm trying to do a repair install of windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 8200 (Laptop). I keep getting hung up at the area where it says that either the disk is bad or its not a valid Windows disk. Any help would be great.

Thanks

There are a few things to confirm:

Is the disc bad ? (scratches, warped, dirty)
Is the CD/DVD drive ok (may need a cleaning disk put through it)
Is the Windows disc a restore disc (and is it meant for your computer)
Is it a copied disc (some copied discs have issues)

Next issue would be the Ram

I have seen faulty Ram cause this issue, you may want to run Memtest (7 Passes) on it. This is a bootable CD ISO, that will test your Ram

Also why are you repairing? (known virus or spyware activity? Other fault?)

Here is a step by step guide to follow for Repairing Windows

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step

The disk inst from the laptop, its just one I had lying around.

I cant get it to load windows, it gets to a error screen and within 1 second it reboots and starts over. So I'm trying to reinstall windows, I took the memory out one chip at a time, but it didn't seem to matter.

If you haven't fully commenced the Repair option (due to restarting)
Can you get to Safe mode, or Safe mode command prompt

This is done by first removing the Windows CD, then repeatively press F8 on Windows Startup (you may also need to select the correct Windows version if Repair has made any changes) Then at last try Safe mode, or Safe mode command prompt.

If you can get to either of these two, we may be able to get Windows fixed.

Edit

its just one I had lying around
This doesn't sound like the original disc, is it a copied CD, what are the markings on it?
This question must be answered first

kimsland said:
If you haven't fully commenced the Repair option (due to restarting)
Can you get to Safe mode, or Safe mode command prompt

This is done by first removing the Windows CD, then repeatively press F8 on Windows Startup (you may also need to select the correct Windows version if Repair has made any changes) Then at last try Safe mode, or Safe mode command prompt.

If you can get to either of these two, we may be able to get Windows fixed.

Edit

This doesn't sound like the original disc, is it a copied CD, what are the markings on it?
This question must be answered first

It wont boot up in safe mode either, actually it wont boot up in any mode. The error message comes and goes so fast, I cant read it.

The disk is a Windows Home Edition.

Actually Home edition may be different from your Dell OEM Home Edition installed
Which may be an issue when Xp finally asks for the key !

I would like you to try one more fix !

Please download the UBCD from here: http://downloads.littlbuger.info/mi...bdown1.littlbuger.info/lbfiles/ubcd411zip.zip
umm it's 95 Meg !

Actually I've got another idea, does the Windows CD allow you to go to the recovery console (R)

Basically I just want you to do a Check Disk on the command line
chkdsk /r or chkdsk c: /r (note space before forward slash)

Running a CheckDisk may resolve your issue, but can corrupt an already faulty drive (I sometimes forget to say that !)

Anyway that's a couple of options. Not to mention my first post options in full.

kimsland said:
Actually Home edition may be different from your Dell OEM Home Edition installed
Which may be an issue when Xp finally asks for the key !

I would like you to try one more fix !

Please download the UBCD from here: http://downloads.littlbuger.info/mi...bdown1.littlbuger.info/lbfiles/ubcd411zip.zip
umm it's 95 Meg !

Actually I've got another idea, does the Windows CD allow you to go to the recovery console (R)

Basically I just want you to do a Check Disk on the command line
chkdsk /r or chkdsk c: /r (note space before forward slash)

Running a CheckDisk may resolve your issue, but can corrupt an already faulty drive (I sometimes forget to say that !)

Anyway that's a couple of options. Not to mention my first post options in full.

Cant get to command line either, I'm almost thinking the Ram is bad.

Cant get to command line either,
You do mean the Recovery console command line ofcourse?

By the way, I'm thinking Ram too
But I still like the CheckDisk option, even from the UBCD

God luck, hear back from you in a few hours or so !

kimsland said:
You do mean the Recovery console command line ofcourse?

By the way, I'm thinking Ram too
But I still like the CheckDisk option, even from the UBCD

God luck, hear back from you in a few hours or so !

Thanks for the help, its a friends laptop, I tried to fix it for him for free, now he can take it to "Geek Squad" and fork over the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back