TechSpot

Repairing Windows problem

By KnightofBane
Mar 19, 2008
  1. Hello again.

I was doing a Windows repair with the instructions found at http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html this morning (long story short: I got a virus or something when I ran a file ((I scanned it and no viruses came up so)) and basically when I restarted my PC my taskbar was there but it was half-size and had no Start button). Anyway, everything was working fine until I got to the actual Windows installing screen.

About 30 seconds into the installing I get this error:

I click OK and I get a long list of stuff like this:

And since it was during the installation I can't get to my actual computer until Windows is repaired.

Note: my cd is not scratched all and I've run this repair before.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

Probably not what you want to hear, and someone else might have a promising solution for you in time, but you're probably better off just extracting the data you need off that installation of XP and then perform a full reinstallation.

3. KnightofBane

KnightofBane TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

I can't get the important stuff off my computer without accessing my desktop though, right? And since I can't access my desktop without repairing Windows...

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 5,268   +92

Wrong.

You can take that HDD and attach it to another PC as a secondary/slave device and pull anything that you care to off the drive. You can also boot off a Linux LiveCD such as Knoppix and transfer the data from that HDD to another storage device.

5. KnightofBane

KnightofBane TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 56

Eh, there's gotta be a way around this.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,336   +622

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.