Repairing Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkni75

Im trying to repair windows xp. I booted from my reinstillation cd(windows xp). Next I highlighted installation. Then it gave me the option of repair by recovery or just go into the windows xp. So i hit 'R" for recovery and now im at this point where it asks what part of the installation do i want to recover. All Im trying to do is repair the software in my computer which causes my computer to immediately go the desktop if i play a clip or video. I dont know which installation number am I suppose to use. Then it also asks for my admininstrative password. I never set one. Is there a default password for all or do I need to set one for this purpose. I know I must sound like a fool but Im trying to learn and you guys seem like you got a handle on this. Another thing is when I just downloaded the Xp without recovery there were a few drivers which stated that they werent logo tested by microsoft. So someone suggested I go to a site to update. What site would that be? the drivers were the universal host controller, soundmax integrated digital audio, and graphics controller.

missing windows root

i booted from the disk and this came up windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root> \ system 32\hal. dll.

rkni75 said:
i booted from the disk and this came up windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root> \ system 32\hal. dll.

Did you try to repair by follow the instruction that howard_hopkinso has posted above?

repairing xp

this is what i do - i install the xp cd and restart my computer- when the computer restarts i get the option on windows xp or windows xp setup- i highlight setup and the statement pops up saying windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root> \system 32\ hal.dll. IF i highlight windows xp i can run my system but whatever is wrong and missing is still the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back