Repairing Windows XP

By rkni75
Feb 6, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im trying to repair windows xp. I booted from my reinstillation cd(windows xp). Next I highlighted installation. Then it gave me the option of repair by recovery or just go into the windows xp. So i hit 'R" for recovery and now im at this point where it asks what part of the installation do i want to recover. All Im trying to do is repair the software in my computer which causes my computer to immediately go the desktop if i play a clip or video. I dont know which installation number am I suppose to use. Then it also asks for my admininstrative password. I never set one. Is there a default password for all or do I need to set one for this purpose. I know I must sound like a fool but Im trying to learn and you guys seem like you got a handle on this. Another thing is when I just downloaded the Xp without recovery there were a few drivers which stated that they werent logo tested by microsoft. So someone suggested I go to a site to update. What site would that be? the drivers were the universal host controller, soundmax integrated digital audio, and graphics controller.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Full instructions for doing a Windows repair can be found HERE

Regards Howard :)
  3. rkni75

rkni75 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

missing windows root

i booted from the disk and this came up windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root> \ system 32\hal. dll.
  4. mephisto_007

mephisto_007 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 305

Did you try to repair by follow the instruction that howard_hopkinso has posted above?
  5. rkni75

rkni75 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

repairing xp

this is what i do - i install the xp cd and restart my computer- when the computer restarts i get the option on windows xp or windows xp setup- i highlight setup and the statement pops up saying windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root> \system 32\ hal.dll. IF i highlight windows xp i can run my system but whatever is wrong and missing is still the same
  6. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Take a look HERE

Hope it helps.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.