Repeated "System has recovered from a serious error" - minidump attached

My system has intermittently, but repeatedly, given me the "System has recovered from a serious error" screen upon boot, and created minidump files. The system continues to boot and run XP without crashes, errors or significant problems beyond sometimes sluggish response. I have used Windbg to see that ntoskrnl.exe is probably the problem and the "!analyze -v" includes reference to "PROCESS_NAME: avgcsrvx.exe" but I don't know what needs to be fixed. Two minidump files are attached as well as the text from windbg. Any insight or help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• Mini082910-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082810-01.dmp
    88 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082910-01_debug.txt
    3.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini082810-01_debug.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 1
I have compared your debug txt to my own with no discrepancies
So you are set up properly to read your dmps.

The driver that has caused the fault is avgcsrvx.exe
This is part of your AVG antivirus software.

A couple of questions:
Do you have more than one av installed?
(note: Having more than one installed will cause conflicts, instability and insecurity.)

How long have you had avg installed and when was your last update?
They may have an update that fixes the problem, or your most recent update may be the cause of the problem.
You might try rolling back to a previous version, or updating (if available).

Otherwise, since avg does sometimes cause problems for some systems,
you could try another av product.
My preference is for Avira. Top marks in effectiveness, extremely rarely is there a conflict issue (for me), and very frequent updates, (usually two a day).
I highly recommend it, if you are interested in an alternative.

Thanks B00kWyrm !

B00kWyrm,
Thank you for your concise and nearly immediate response.

I will check for update status and multiple AV product installs. (This effort is to help a coworker/friend on their machine). I have used AVG for quite a while and on systems where it is the lone product (perhaps accompanied by Malwarebytes) it has been generally stable. I have also heard good feedback regarding Avira but my tendency toward being Luddite has prevented me from changing horses. I will look at Avira again.

Congratulations on such an effective and comprehensive forum. I'll be back (Apologies to Ahnold)

Back