Repeating hard disk failure

Hi, my problem is literally every harddisk i use eventually comes to a failure.

It started before some time when i bought ASUS laptop (dont remember exactly which but it started i think it started with N5...;it had a Samsung HDD i think). After few moths there was an issue with hard disk so i sent the laptop to the service and they changed the hard disk. Everything was fine then but after some months it happen again. Same solution - changed hard disk. When it happened for third time i was really furious, because i thought it is laptops fault, so i ask to refund the laptop back.

With the money i bought parts and made my own PC( was a year ago ). It is working fine till today, when HDD started to make strange noises( randomly making noise like when under high activity, sometimes it makes click sound - same it makes when i shut down computer), and also random drops in its speed(sometimes resulting in OS freezing for 2 secs) and a there is also SMART notice in the POST.

I know that best solution is to backup and send for exchange as it is under warranty yet, but i think that it cannot be coincidence and i must be doing something wrong. Few things i can think of is temperature(that might have been the problem in the laptop but i dont think it is a case in PC as i sometimes checked the temperature), or maybe some software i use is causing it but i'am not sure if this is possible.

I would be really thankful to any advice into future.

making noise like when under high activity, sometimes it makes click sound - same it makes when i shut down computer), and also random drops in its speed(sometimes resulting in OS freezing for 2 secs) and a there is also SMART notice in the POST.
Not good but clearly a definitive indication of HD error(s).
I would be really thankful to any advice into future.
Is your fan operating? Have you blown out all the dust?

Have you ever used CHKDSK C: /F? If your system freezes and you elect to force a power off by holding the power button for 5 sec, then you should restart
using Save Mode (F8) and run CHKDSK C: /F before booting normally.

Systems just don't eat HDs - - there's something in your usage that is causing the system to not flush I/O before powering off - - NOT GOOD!!! :(

Not good but clearly a definitive indication of HD error(s).

Is your fan operating? Have you blown out all the dust?

Fans are fine, there was some dust - i checked today, but not much because sometimes i am cleaning it

Have you ever used CHKDSK C: /F? If your system freezes and you elect to force a power off by holding the power button for 5 sec, then you should restart
using Save Mode (F8) and run CHKDSK C: /F before booting normally.

I ran CHKDSK today, but i'll try the Safe Mode method you suggested

Systems just don't eat HDs - - there's something in your usage that is causing the system to not flush I/O before powering off - - NOT GOOD!!! :(

Well, might be the problem, but i still don't know what can be the cause

I'm asking Does your system freeze regularly? What were you doing when it did?

I'm asking Does your system freeze regularly? What were you doing when it did?

I should have mentioned that problem started yesterday when TuneUp utilities were performing maintenance(defragmentation). Since then HDD is doing this, SMART came up only today and to your uestion it is quite often(every 5-15) and it is quite random.

It could just be extraordinarily bad luck. I had a run of bad luck several years ago where I lost 3 drives in the span of a couple years.

It could just be extraordinarily bad luck. I had a run of bad luck several years ago where I lost 3 drives in the span of a couple years.
Might be bad luck indeed, but i assume that wasn't only HDs you were using. In my case that are almost only HDs i was using.

Another thing worth mentioning, that on both systems I had OpenSUSE installed and was using GRUB bootloader. I dont know if it is relevant.

Btw i ran chkdsk in safe mode on both Windows partitions and no bad sectors were found.

Correct, I think only 1 was my primary drive. I did have one fail so bad that when I opened it up the head had scraped the metallic layer off of half of the platter.

Back