Replace the power jack or replace the adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruu

Hi all,

The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4334. A few weeks ago, it got dropped right on its corner with the power plug still in it; the little metal plug of the AC adapter is now slightly crooked, and the power jack has a little chip off the plastic part of it.

Anyway, after this mishap, it worked fine for another 3, 4 weeks, and then suddenly this week, it's refusing to power up. Its battery has been shot for a while (can't hold a charge), and I've been using it with the battery out. Why the sudden refusal to boot?

I took the whole thing apart---minus the little chip, the power jack looks totally fine and cosmetically sound. Put the whole thing back together, taking care to check that plugs were snug---still no power.

Stuck in the crappy battery; booted just fine (and then shut itself down after like 2 minutes).

How likely is it that it's the power jack which is broken? And why did it take this long to crap out, if it IS broken?

A new one of those silly jacks costs over $20 on eBay, so I want to make sure that it's the jack before I just up and buy one. Of course, if it's the AC adapter that's broken, that would cost even more! Bah.

Input?

AND/OR inside the case the the jack is soldered directly to the motherboard. Is also possible that
1) It's already cracked
2) If not yet, it's gonna crack

So look to see what connection looks like between power jack and motherboard, If you feel u wanna/can re-solder yourself or the typically price to redo the whole power thing seems to run $125 parts/labor/warranty if you take it somewhere. So how much is it all worth to you?

AND/OR inside the case the the jack is soldered directly to the motherboard. Is also possible that
1) It's already cracked
2) If not yet, it's gonna crack

Well, the power jack actually plugs into the motherboard with a plug---it's removable without having to replace the whole mobo (which is quite nice). You're right that the connection between the plug and the mobo could've been damaged, though.

I don't even know where to take it where I could get someone to re-solder the connection. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back