TechSpot

Replace your bulky charger with Dart, the world's smallest notebook adapter

By Shawn Knight
Apr 14, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Bulky chargers with lengthy cords have been a staple of notebooks for decades. Given recently technological advancements in virtually every other category, it's a wonder that nobody has yet to tackle this common inconvenience. Well now, someone finally has.

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,555   +861

65w isnt compatible with ALL pc brands, is it? I mean I could be wrong but I thought 65w was mostly typical, i3 or i5 etc etc laptops. I could be way off though.

I mean id think gaming laptops or workstation laptops or even higher end laptops would do more than that.

lmike6453 likes this.
  3. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 707   +168

I don't have a laptop.

4. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 910   +385

When I buy a laptop, I always opt for the bigger extended battery & the 90 watt charger/adapter since I want the longer lasting battery. 65watt wouldn't be enough for my use, but for the typical "best buy" computer buyer it might be adequate.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Not compatible with Apple laptops? Those too have bulky chargers, only owners of Apple products spend more money on gadgets. That's a bad marketing move.

6. Chargers aren't that big or weight that much compared with the laptop+battery so I really don't see why anyone would pay $100 for a second charger to save a few grams and a bit of bag space. Kickstarter should have a new section - non-starter.

7. You mean except for the 2,000 people who have already backed it in kickstater, right?

lmike6453 likes this.
  8. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Guru Posts: 305   +62

My gaming laptop isn't listed.

Not that I mind the size of it, makes a great flail.

9. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 190   +30

I'm pretty sure that these were not designed with 17inch 8 pounder gaming laptops in mind...

yukka likes this.
  10. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 508   +45

I have an i7 laptop (Intel 4650 Sony vaio duo 13) and it's charger is only 45w. It's going to be more down to the efficiency of the components which dictates the battery as to what wattage is required to to charge. But still like you say some laptops will require more power I have seen 90w supplies but that is on older models.

Curious I wonder if there are plans to bring out a UK version. US 2 prog plugs are so flimsy and made worse when you plug then into a uk adapter. UK one might be bulkier but much more stable sturdy connection.

11. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,290   +239

I can't even remember the last time I had a laptop that used a power supply as low as 65W. Of course, I tend towards power hungry systems that can run things like SolidWorks in the field (and games in the hotel rooms at night, of course)... But I don't think I'm unique in this, by any means.