Replaced HDD, now drivers are needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBHack

I replaced the HDD on a Toshiba A205 S4707 and installed XP pro. I Need to install the needed drivers to be able to go online. The usb ports are not working either. In device manager I am finding a yellow question mark before all items in the "other devices" category.

Go to the Toshiba website and click on their support link. Look up the downloads for your model number and they should provide all the drivers needed for your machine. BUT your USB ports themselves shouldn't require any special drivers (but if your network card connects via USB port then you need the network driver for the card)

Tho if you have a USB network card i'm guessing it;s not from Toshiba. in any case, start with drivers on the Tohiba site

Downloaded all drivers to cd. When I extract them, do I need to put them in any particular place?

1) Typically, you'll find instructions for each driver on the website
2) Typically
> If they download as an .exe file you only need to run them
> If they download in a compressed file format (such as .ZIP or .RAR files) you need to uncompress them first. just uncompress to a folder on your Desktop. Then run the .exe exectuable file

You can delete the .exe (or uncompressed files) once you run the .exe to do the install

Extracted driver named driver_wifi_intel_os2007223. By right clicking on network icon on bottom right of desktop, I then click on "view wireless networks". No available networks are showing Clicking on advanced, I then click on refresh with no positive results (that laptop is sitting next to the laptop I am currently typing on).
I also have a driver named util_wifi_intel_proset_os2007223a. Upon extracting it, it successfully unzips 33 files and when I hit ok, I get an error message: ERROR - the install is unable to continue, please upgrade MSI support to Windows Installer 3.1 or later. Contact www(dot)microsoft(dot)com to obtain the upgrade.
BTW: Thanks for all the help thus far. Sorry for delays between responses. I drive a truck during the day and can only mangle the keys in the evenings.

Hi SBHack

Any better luck these last few days? i've been busy gettin' ready and throwing a party for my niece who's getting married in Sept.. but that's all finally done so checking back with you.

Am i to understand you have your ethernet LAN driver working? Are you only having a problem with the wifi driver?

If you're not sure of what's working or not try this
  • Make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post

Not looking so good:

Ethernet Controller PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4353&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_14\4&192AC53F&0&00E0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Mass Storage Controller PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803B&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_00\4&6B16D5B&0&32F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
PCI Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_02\3&B1BFB68&0&D8 The drivers for this device are not installed.
PCI Device PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803C&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_00\4&6B16D5B&0&33F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.
SM Bus Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_02\3&B1BFB68&0&FB The drivers for this device are not installed.
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27CC&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_02\3&B1BFB68&0&EF The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A6&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&11 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Video Controller (VGA Compatible) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27A2&SUBSYS_FF101179&REV_03\3&B1BFB68&0&10 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Wow. Yea, you've got some problems! :(

A few questions
  1. What XP Service Pack level is the computer now running? see here for how to check
  2. Is your install CD from Toshiba? or direct from Microsoft?
  3. Can you use a USB flash drive? I see your Problem Report includes a missing driver for a USB controller. But there's usually more then one controller on a computer
    • Take a USB flash drive and test it in each USB port.
    • Will the computer recognize the USB drive in any of the USB ports?
    • I ask just as it will be much easier to copy drivers via USB flash drive, if possible

/* edit *
btw.. i'm wondering if that missing driver might just be for your USB 2.0 controller. So don't worry if Windows simply says something like "Your device could run faster..blah blah" vs. does it recognize the USB drive on any USB port?

I replaced the HDD on a Toshiba A205 S4707 and installed XP pro. I Need to install the needed drivers to be able to go online. The usb ports are not working either. In device manager I am finding a yellow question mark before all items in the "other devices" category.
The folllowing is is based on an assumption that XP Pro was not the OS this machine shipped.

Am I correct in thinking that this is a stock laptop..? If so, the answer to your driver problems lies in the restore discs that came with the machine. The restore disc are actually drive images, and the complete set of drivers is slip streamed into these discs.

I appreciate that whatever OS came with the machine, may not be your OS of choice, but there is a certain lack of flexibility with a pre-built machine.

A big part of the trouble lies with the fact that your machine may have never shipped with XP Pro, hence no drivers would be available from Toshiba for that OS.

Windows 7 has the built in ability to hunt down drivers that seem to work, it's not perfect, but it's worlds better than XP in this capacity. Still in all, even Win 7 needs internet access to get drivers. So....

If this were my machine, I'd bite the bullet and get the restore discs from Toshiba, and bear with the original OS.

The alternative may wind up in it being necessary to find drivers from each individual device vendor, then do some serious praying that they work.

LA: 1. XP Professional version 2002 2. Microsoft install disc 3. Known good flashdrive is not recognized in any port. The light on the drive does come on.

CC: Thanks for the input. I will look to see if they are available.

1. The captain raises a good point. Tho when i check the Toshiba download site (click here then click the Downloads button for your specific model, Toshiba does list XP and does supply XP drivers... HOWEVER!, I also see Toshiba distinguishes between XP vs. XP SP2/SP3 driver releases for your computer so also see below

2. I asked your SP level in my prior post as i was also suspicious of what SP level was installed with your CD (i.e. I was wondering if it might it even be an SP1 or even earlier install CD?? ). Is it an old CD? As i note you don't even mention any SP level??

3. Which takes me to my next point... I wonder if your XP install CD is SP1 or earlier??? And which set of XP drivers are you downloading from Toshiba?? (XP vs. XP SP2/SP3?)

So...

Be sure to try downloading the XP drivers from Toshiba that match your currently installed SP level.

ALSO: I asked if you have an MS CD (and you do!) which makes it easier for you to create your own XP SP3 installation disk! if you might also want to build one, then install XP SP3 directly using your new CD. After SP3 is installed, you can download and try installing the Toshiba XP SP2/SP3 drivers for your specific model

How to Slipstream SP3 onto your XP install CD

/* edit */
btw.. i was also wondering if your USB driver issue might be because you have an SP1 or earlier XP install disc

/* edit 2 */
Just occurs to me.. If, in fact, you're running XP SP1 or pre-SP1, it's probably also possible to install the MS Service Pack directly on top of what you have (tho i'd have to google it and do some digging to figure out how to do it) so don't know if easier or not to simply building your own new slipstreamed XP SP3 disc

Excellent point. The sandman is beating me in the head and my disc is not readily available. I will slipstream and reinstall tomorrow nite and repost results then or friday nite. Thanks again for the patience.

How about some good news for a change. The Slipstreaming was a challenge because of a link that was no longer available in the instructions, but I worked around it and picked up the sevice pack 3 in another location. The install went fine, I reinstalled the driver for wifi, and had the system search for available networks..... none found. I then for some reason read the message on screen which included the phrase "make sure your wireless switch is on" and I started trying to figure out where to look for the switch (in the system) when it dawned on me that the switch may be on the front edge of the case. It was. Amazingly the USB ports are all now working too. I appreciate the edumacation. I must now leave to find a tube of Krazy Glue.

Hey - Hey!! Glad to hear some good news! And kudos for working around the slipstreaming issue :grinthumb

Also.. thanks for the reminder about the symptom/solution for your wireless. I keep forgotting a wireless On/Off switch could be the cause of "No wireless networks"!

Glad things are better. Hope to see you around in the forums :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back