Replacing HDD in Compaq Presario Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to install windows onto my laptop. It went through the set up process, but when it got to the install part, I got an error message stating that Windows could not find a HDD installed on my computer. So, thinking something was wrong with the HDD, I bought a new Wester Digital HDD. After installing the new HDD, I again tried installing windows, with the same outcome. Someone has told me that Compaq is bad about putting "blinder" codes in their BIOS to hide the HDD from being overwritten. I called Compaq Tech Support, but because my warranty is out, they wanted an arm and a leg to "help". Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

If this is a SATA hard drive, you need to install SATA controller drivers at the F6 prompt. Since this procedure needs a floppy drive and you probably don't have one, go into the BIOS and see if you can change the controller from SATA or AHCI mode to IDE mode. If have this option, then Setup should continue.

I appreciate the reply. However, I have since figured it out. Turns out I had to disable the ATA controller in the BIOS, install windows, and the re-enable the controller. Don't ask me what this has to do with anything, but it worked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back