Replacing integrated graphics on my Dell Studio 1749 laptop

Most laptops have their GPU soldered onto the motherboard. This is more then likely the case with your Dell laptop, Therefore, its not possible to replace it.

It's not really a good idea anyway, even if it were possible. You'd probably run into issues with heat and battery life. Most of the laptops with discreet graphics are marketed as " desktop replacements", or "gaming laptops" and carry a hefty price tag. They weigh a ton too. Well, not quite a ton, but.....

I just checked out some information on the net, mainly dealing with upgrading and or replacing the video graphics card on a Dell Studio 1749. Dell officially reports that upgrading video on the Studio 1749 is a "no go"! Some other various source material I saw also backs up what Dell says and they to report that upgrading the Studio 1749 graphics is "not possible"!

For what I did see on Dell's web site, in regards to your computers system spec's, why would you want to change out the video solution that came with the computer? If your system has the same spec's as the Studio 1749 I saw on paper, it's a integrated 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5730 Graphics Card, why change it? Or is this 1749 I saw a "high end" system and maybe you have one a couple ladder rungs down! Maybe your looking at a cheaper Intel integrated graphics set, what ever the case may be, all the sources I saw say "no".

I'm waiting for, "because I want to play Crysis on it" to come down. Sorry, I'm getting jaded.

Well if it makes you happy Captain, and to help stop keeping you waiting, I think I know why this guy wants to upgrade his graphics......................you know why.........................can you guess........................I know, here it is for you............."he wants to play Crysis on it"! :p

The waiting is over! :grinthumb

Back