TechSpot

Replacing motherboard, CPU, and RAM. First time and have couple questions.

By Ftowngang916
Dec 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hello this is my first time working on my computer by myself and after ordering some new parts I would like some help on getting everything to work correctly. I am confident that I can physically put the parts in place, but I am concerned about booting up my PC afterwards.

Do I have to reinstall Win7 after replacing Mobo and CPU? Or can I boot my computer up normally after the new parts are in? Also I have read that I need to delete the old mobo files from device manager. Is this necessary and how exactly do I do this? Below I have listed my current specs and the new parts I have purchased. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

New Parts: AMD Bulldozer FX-6100 Six Core Processor 3.3GHZ Socket AM3+ 95W
    ASRock 880GM-LE FX AM3+ AMD 880G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Current Specs:
    Win7
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ Windsor 90nm
    4gb ddr2 363mhz
    ati radeon hd 4870

2. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,367   +55

Replacing a motherboard is a big topic, and there is plenty of advice about it if you google. Some of the highlights are - a new motherboard will necessarily mean a need for new drivers, and the existing installation might or might not boot up. Mostly it will not, but if it does, you will still need to do a 'repair' installation because lots of things need to be changed for the new motherboard.

Everything depends upon your installation media, because if it was supplied by a major Computer supplier/builder, then it will no longer work at all, either for a fresh installation or a repair installation. It will be tied to your old PC because a certain motherboard or HDD is expected. You will need a general installer (retail version in other words).

If you have a retail install disc, then as I said, you will need to reinstall, but it might only need to be a repair install, which is a lot quicker and does not destroy any data you already have.

Either way, be sure to have a full backup first. Good luck, and a happy new year.

PS. In the event that you can neither boot nor aquire a retail install of Windows 7, there is a possibility that Acronis Universal restore can do what you need. http://www.acronis.co.uk/company/inpress/2007/08-raid-array-image-7.html

I have no experience with this product, which would require you to first purchase, and install both TrueImage and Universal Restore, then produce a Drive Image before continuing to restore with new drivers. It might work out cheaper than purchasing a retail copy of Win7 but take longer. However, you would gain certain facilities that might be a life-saver at other times. I use Acronis TrueImage, but not Universal Restore. I dont regard TrueImage as very easy to use, but respect it's abilities.

Also note the date of that document - why is this product not well-known? Tread carefully.

PPS http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/trueimage/#add-migration says the option is still available, and overall, £32 GBP, so pretty cheap. Not well-known tho'

3. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Personally, I'd take the opportunity to start with a fresh Windows install.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.