Replacing Windows 7 with XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to replace windows 7 with windows XP on my laptop (Toshiba satalite) I have the windows XP disks that came with the laptop, But I cannot access a boot menu to change boot order so I can boot from the disks, Does any one know of another way I can alter my boot sequence? Or can I create a partition to load XP onto from inside the windows UI?

1. You should be able to access BIOS settings to change the boot order

2. Be advised: The biggest possible "gotcha" in downgrading the OS is finding XP compatible drivers for all your devices (chipset, network, audio, graphics, etc.) This can sometimes be very hard (or impossible) since many newer hardware were created after XP and only Vista/Win 7 drivers exist

So, if not too late, make sure you know how to reinstall Win 7 if your XP downgrade doesn't work

/* edit */
OOOpps... Just noticed you said XP was an option for the laptop (i.e. XP disks came with laptop)??? Good so you know drivers should exist. Look for them on the Toshiba website

Windows 7 does permit the creation of partitions after installation. This is one way that it's different from XP. It will assign a drive letter to the partition. If you can't change the boot order, you'd have to change the partition to "C:/" before you power down the computer. It seems like a do or die proposition, since you may not be able to get back into Win 7 if you do this. that supposes the the OS partition on your laptop is in fact "C:/"

I"m not familiar with Toshiba's recovery procedures, but it seems that it would be necessary to have the DVD drive first in the boot order anyway, if there are recovery discs involved. That is unless the recovery discs summon a fresh copy of Windows from an existing partition, perhaps "D/".

In some OEM installations of Windows, a BIOS administrative password prevents the use of actual Windows discs for an OS install. The recovery discs must be used, as they are a disc image, not really an actual copy of Windows

If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with Win 7?

On my Toshiba I can press a key to access the boot menu. I believe its F12. Press it when booting and you need not alter the bios.

LoL, this has nothing to do with him. Okay, well some what... Maybe this person is like me and there is just ONE "do or die" program they really want to use. That will not work (even in compatibility mode) on Windows 7. Assuming, it is a game. They probably do NOT want to run in a VM (3d Acceleration as I just read about)... I believe I even just read/left a post about my issues, underneath a comment of kittys (mentioning the VM thing). So, thank you kitty.

My problem, is games. Some of my older games, when I pop in the install disc (sure will install fine when ran in compatibility mode)...but tend to spit at me STILL, the "Unknown API" error and crashes (obvious that the o/s is unknown also being ran in compatibility mode). Well, it drove me through the roof when purchasing these TWO new PC's (if you look at my specs you will note I used an *almost* ANCIENT setup which I would LOVE to ditch hence my dual boot question on the other thread). So I figure instead of complaining at the game sites (asking for an update I will never get due to the game being so old also, you try arguing with EA and see how far you get.;)) That it would be easier for me to just dual boot and play the game on the O/S the game was BUILT to be played on. :( This kind of stuff really encourages me on my schooling, to become a COMMUNITY FRIENDLY game developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back