Replacing Windows Search with Locate32

Status
Not open for further replies.

banic

Just wanted to link to a freeware out there that I've been using a few years now instead of the built-in search function in Windows. The program, Locate32 itself is very small and take insignificant of memory resource while running. It has many useful features. Beside the most important one which is instant searchtime to any file in drives, is the feature of searching for words inside pdf, doc or any other filetype.

Microsoft explains that Windows "Search Indexing takes only a small fraction of time and PC resource" - but that's mostly BS from their side. It'll not only take alot of memory resource but also never-ending time by indexing in background constantly. You will only see advantages by replacing it.

Turn off Windows Search (Vista):
Start -> Services.msc -> Windows Search = dubble click and disable under Startup type.

Install locate32, 64-bit version is also available.
http://locate32.net/content/view/14/26/ - About Locate32

Tip: If you have some folders or drives that's very active for example Download folder and User Directory then make a database that consist of these folders only. And another database for rest of the files. You could also make schedule updates.

Hope you like it!

Very little added benefit, and greater security risk. It uses databases to store info and uses these databases in searches. I don't see how it is simpler or faster when you include the creation of the databases.

You wouldn't know much if you haven't tried it, right? Because you could see right away that it's easier and faster than Windows Search.
What do you mean by -greater security risk? Content of your files is never stored anywhere. If that was what you were referring to...

Why did you assume I haven't tried it. I have.
I just don't think it has enough merit to get out of Windows search to use it. That is one of the few places where Windows works adequately.
The risk is there. Another program outside the security envelope.

I assumed it because it's faster and easier to use. That's a fact, not proven by me but I could make some test just to prove you're wrong. And you still haven't told me about the risks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back