TechSpot

Replication between 2 windows servers

By tgreaves
Jan 8, 2008
  1. Is it possible to have data sync'd between 2 windows servers over the internet? A friend and I want to have a common area on both of our machines where if I put something in the common area then it will replicate over to his machine in his common area and vise versa..

Is this possible?

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

The builtin method would be DFS, but you would need to set up some sort of a VPN for that.

3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,425   +77

more discussion here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Replication_Service

This would be 2 or more Win2003 servers. I doubt very much that is what you have got. This is a professional service, probably costing a LOT. I remember Novell used to offer this type of thing (still does under it's Linux product line) as a fail-over non-stop process. Again a big cost service, but vital if you are running a hospital or the like.

Here is a simpler, and MUCH cheaper procedure. Buy a package called SyncBackSE (about £30 or so) and set it up to run in scheduled mode. It will cheerfully and faultlessly duplicate any two directories across a network. I use it at work in place of the aforesaid Novell failover service, to synchronise two whole servers, and it is quite simply superb. Having said that, I have two servers in the same building, not connected over the internet, but that's just a technical problem....VPN....

4. tgreaves

tgreaves TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 40

I sure do, 2 windows server 2003 datacenter edition machines.. Doesnt everyone have a few of them.. ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.