Report: Intel readies Sandy Bridge-based Pentium chips

Jos

Staff

Intel is looking to introduce a range of Pentium processors based on the 32nm Sandy Bridge microarchitecture, according to a report by Chinese site Inpai. The budget-oriented family will apparently comprise four different chips, with the dual-core Pentium G850 leading the charge sporting a 2.9GHz clock speed, 3MB of L3 cache, and a 65W thermal envelope. The chip is said to be nearly identical to the Core i3 2100, only Intel dropped the clock speed on the former and disabled Hyper-Threading to produce the specifications mentioned before.

There's no mention of price but it would have to be lower than the $120 asking price of Intel's Core i3 2100, which is clocked at 3.1GHz. Also making an appearance is a 2.8GHz Pentium G840, a 2.6GHz G620, and a 2.2GHz G620T with a 35W TDP. For reference, Inpai ran some simulated G840 benchmarks and found that the chip's performance would lie somewhere in between that of the i3-2100 and the existing Clarkdale-based Pentium G6950.

As usual you should take the aforementioned information with a pinch of salt until Intel makes an official announcement, but if Inpai is right the new Sandy Bridge Pentiums could be an interesting option for budget-conscious consumers.

Permalink to story.

Used to be able to say Pentium, not as good as core 2duo. This puts the cat amongst the pigeons.

Pentium and heat go in pairs. I have never had a good experience with the pentium 4 desktop that is still in my house. It gets rather hot (it is from dell so I did not build it) and will encounter illegal instructions when running basically anything that requires a lot of cpu usage. I know its not the graphics card because that is a radeon x600 and it still works just as well as when I first used the computer five years ago.

The Core pentiums are nothing like the old netburst pentiums, the sandy bridge ones, even less so. There's no way you can compare the two at all. The Pentium brand nowadays denotes budget, low end chips.

Intel should release these Pentiums with HD 3000 graphics. That should put a dent in AMD's Llano plans.

Back