Report: Microsoft charging $85 per Windows 8 RT license

By Jos
Jun 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Windows is betting big on the tablet market by designing its upcoming operating system around touch interfaces. But tablets running Windows RT might have a hard time competing in a...

Read the whole story
  2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,443   +268

If Windows 8 tablets (that are not laptops) ship at a premium over the iPad they will fail, it's that simple.
  3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

With Windows 8, Microsoft's hope is there will no longer be a distinction between the two.
  4. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,443   +268

Correct me if I'm wrong but last thing I knew Windows RT (Windows on ARM) won't run desktop apps, so the distinction will be inevitable.
  5. Teko03

Teko03 Newcomer, in training Posts: 84   +12

I'm hoping Windows 8 RT succeeds, but MS is making it hard for those hopes to come true if they decide to price device at this range. Not that iPad's are any better, but nothing should be priced higher than an Apple device.
  6. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 304   +25

So Windows will be a premium over the premium iOS devices... Perfect.
  7. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +45

So even if Windows RT is free to the vendors (-$80), the tablets will still be priced between $469 and $719. Is this because they are based on better hardware, or is it because vendors are pricing the tablets for higher profits? If the latter, then Windows RT license cost is not the only one to blame... I really hope they will sell for less at launch.
  8. gamoniac

gamoniac TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +45

Oops. That should be -$85 (not $80); so the price would be $464 - $714 in my last post.
  9. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

As said in the article, with the tablet/laptop hybrids shown at Computex, Microsoft is hoping to bridge--if not completely remove--the gap between the tablet and laptop form factors, and their consequent purposes. Even though the topic is Windows RT, remember there will also be Intel Oak Trail tablets (and laptops that can be detached into a "tablet") that will run Windows x86. As to how will Microsoft effectively explain the market which is which, what is what, and which should be bought for which purpose will be key in their "evolutional convergence" strategy.

In essence, I agree with you on the price issue, but I also think that what you said will eventually come down to whether Microsoft's both vision and message can be properly conveyed to the masses.
  10. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,986   +66

+1, IMHO MS should sell W8/RT at around 15-20$ at most, anything above that, it won't be able to compete with less impressive android offerings let alone the iPad.
  11. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

Does anyone know how much Android costs to license? (Android itself is free, but the apps and Google Play access cost.) Plus most companies releasing Android products are already paying Microsoft something for each such product ($10-$15). I wonder what the price premium of Windows 8 is over Android.
  12. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

Another thought, perhaps more interesting: how does this price compare to what Microsoft charges for the entry level Windows 8 for x86? Far as I remember, the cost of Windows 7 Starter was lower than this, though I think Windows 8 won't have such an edition.

Note though that Windows 8 RT also includes Office in it. I don't know how this compares with Office on x86 (in particular the free Office version currently offered with laptops), but it's definitely added value.
  13. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 477   +117

As there should be bulk buys (like how MS usually does it), this is just a single license price. However I do not know how that works entirely...

14. This is the worse mistake they can do... especially when they are this late into the game.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.