Report: Microsoft Windows 8 set for October release

By Leeky
Mar 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft plans to finish working on its Windows 8 operating system this summer and have it ready for personal computers and tablets in October, according to unnamed sources familiar with the…

Read the whole story
  2. SCJake

SCJake Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

woo fkin hoo! vista 2.0! and win7 is xp 2.0. i think ill stick with 7
  3. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

You know after playing with the Win8 Preview for the last couple of weeks I have to say I am really torn. It seems really good in some areas and really bad in others. The switching between Metro and the desktop just feels awkward. It's like Metro is just a simple overlay or something. However, some the Metro Apps I tried were pretty darn cool. I really think M$ should have made Metro a 2nd OS for tablets and left Win7 alone.
  4. I think I'll pass. At least where my desktop PC is concerned. Windows 7 has been very good to me both feature and performance wise, and is in no way broken to me, unlike Vista. Remember - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  5. Zilpha

Zilpha TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 349

I'm going to take a pass on this one too. This tablet craze is a little excessive when it starts to bleed over into what should be good desktop computing experiences. For now, windows 7 is handling things quite nicely.
  6. nismo91

nismo91 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,001   +11

i think i will get a win8 tablet. well my desktop pc should keep using win7, hell, even my laptop should retain using its original vista sp2 64bit. there isnt point upgrading to win8 my system doesn't have touchscreen input.
  7. AccordXTC

AccordXTC Newcomer, in training

I'd have to stick with Win 7 they finally had it right and hasnt really had to many issues.
  8. I love it!
  9. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,671   +509

Windows 8 for desktop users is a bad joke. If they release it in the current form, I won't touch it.

On another hand, we are closing on to an era when the only application that matters is the web browser, making the environment less and less relevant.
  10. they are just doing anti of their gaming console policy where they said they will not release new xbox since current one is doing well and when win7 is doing well they are releasing a new one.
    i want MS to take their time and release new os in late 2013 or even early 2014 because i dont want a vista part 2. and if they are going to release it anyway. i am not going to buy it
  11. Unless they disable Metro, I'm sticking with Windows 7.

12. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 956   +96

+1
  13. I'm sure they'll release Metro just as a Theme that you can opt-out.
  14. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,537   +92

+1
  15. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 844   +20

In that case, why are all those tiles for applications in metro? I don't think microsoft is thinking clearly.
  16. spectrenad

spectrenad Newcomer, in training Posts: 81   +16

i dont think they are aiming to replace win7, at least not yet. they just want to get in the tablet/phone business before its too late, and took the opportunity to make a new OS wich would be compatible through all devices. i think its a step in the right direction, but theres still work to do.
  17. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,586   +863

Isn't it time we call, "Windows 8", by its true name, the name that cannot be spoken, "Vista 2".....! :rolleyes:
  18. Phraun

Phraun Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

Let me know when they fix the Metro problem that infested it.
  19. We could march up to microsoft HQ with picket signs that say, "We want the start button back!" as we chant it over and over.
  20. Occupy Microsoft. xD
  21. xp good vista bad 7 good 8?
  22. igotdembombs

igotdembombs Newcomer, in training Posts: 17

But the start up times are fantabulous. And I think the idea behind using metro is to save battery. Also, x86 and ARM? When is the x64 coming out?
  23. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,489   +292

x64 is out for the Consumer Preview, don't see any reason it wouldn't have the same release date as x86.
  24. sapo joe

sapo joe TechSpot Member Posts: 81

I just hope they get into senses and release it with an option to turn off that Metro bullsh*t.... Otherwise, I'm sticking with windows 2008 R2 x64 forever...
  25. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,586   +863

Makes you want to run out and buy an OEM 3 pack of Windows 7, doesn't it....?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.