Report: new iPhone will carry 4.6-inch Retina display

By Shawn Knight
Mar 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The latest reports from the rumor mill indicate that Apple’s next iPhone will ship with a 4.6-inch Retina display. If true, the sixth generation handset from Cupertino would be theā€¦

Read the whole story
  2. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 530   +76

Hmm 4.6 inch.

Is that going to be comfortable to hold in your hand?

what is the size limit if anyone knows that would actually be doable on a phone when it comes to screensize?
  3. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

Too little too late Apple, wanted this last year in place of the 4S fumble. Still so disappointed with that so I traded in my 4 and got a nice Samsung Galaxy Note and 5.3 inch super amoled 1280 x 800 res screen and the envy of all my coworkers. Couldnt be happier so meh Apple.
  4. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

It's truly a shame the most profitable tech company on the planet will lose the sale of "soldier1969." Steve must be turning in his grave due to the great disappointment in the company's direction...
  5. @soldier1969: Yup, the iphone is crap, good choice on the Samsung Galaxy Note. Very nice phone, however 5.3' is way too big in my opinion. It's like a mini tablet.
  6. p51d007

p51d007 TechSpot Booster Posts: 293   +39

LOL...4.6? Never happen.
    I wouldn't give up my Galaxy Note for anything.
    It's the SECOND 5" screen, the streak being the first.
    The note blows the streak out of the water, and the latest GB update last
    weekend made it even better.
    If "Steve" was still around, he'd fire the first person on Apple that suggested anything
    bigger than 4".
  7. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

D: , that's bigger than my droid 4 which barely fits into my pocket.
  8. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,134   +172

Lucky he's the only person in the world who thinks the same way then hey?
  9. gibbstar

gibbstar Newcomer, in training Posts: 21

4.6" screen would be way too big. I'm not a girl with a purse, and i like my phone to fit in my pocket. Any bigger than the current would be a hassle to get in/out with a bumper/case on. Teardrop style should stay canned, as i like my phone not rocking around when i set it down.
    As far as the Galaxy (Nexus) goes... how much space does it have? 64gb? didn't think so. Sure, Kingmax is coming out with a 64gb micro SD card, but it will cost an arm and a leg. I won't be getting the iPhone5, but will wait for the 5s. with any luck it will be bumped up to 128gb and even more processing power.
  10. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,585   +489

iPhone 5 will have resolution 720P, because anything else will be considered a failure.
    They are also likely to stick with the same DPI as iPhone 4. Doubtful they will increase the DPI, and going for smaller one will be critisized. A phone with 720P and DPI of 326 translates approximately into a 4.3" screen. Considering they would reuse the already-good screen matrix, there is no reason for them going for anything different.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.