Report: new iPhone will carry 4.6-inch Retina display

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest reports from the rumor mill indicate that Apple’s next iPhone will ship with a 4.6-inch Retina display. If true, the sixth generation handset from Cupertino would be the first to deviate from the 3.5-inch display that first shipped with the original iPhone in 2007.

Reuters was the first to deliver the rumor courtesy of the Maeil Business Newspaper out of South Korea. The newspaper claims that unnamed industry sources say that Apple has started placing orders with suppliers for the larger display. The piece noted that LG Display and Samsung Electronics, two of Apple’s major display suppliers, declined to comment on the rumor.

Macrumors has weighed in on the subject, casting doubt on the validity of the claim and the source. A 4.6-inch display would be a significant increase in size, putting the phone among some of the largest on the market. Furthermore, the team notes that the rumor is coming from a Korean source with no track record of Apple rumors.

Finally, the staff points to a post that first appeared on iLounge last November. In that post, an anonymous source correctly predicted that the new iPad would be a little thicker than the iPad 2. In the same post, the source said that the next generation iPhone wouldn’t feature the teardrop design that hit the rumor mill heavily last year.

Instead, we can expect a 4-inch display on a phone that will be 8mm longer with a metal casing (probably aluminum) that should launch sometime this summer. Of course, that was four months ago and plans could certainly have changed since then.

Permalink to story.

Hmm 4.6 inch.

Is that going to be comfortable to hold in your hand?

what is the size limit if anyone knows that would actually be doable on a phone when it comes to screensize?

Too little too late Apple, wanted this last year in place of the 4S fumble. Still so disappointed with that so I traded in my 4 and got a nice Samsung Galaxy Note and 5.3 inch super amoled 1280 x 800 res screen and the envy of all my coworkers. Couldnt be happier so meh Apple.

soldier1969 said:
Too little too late Apple, wanted this last year in place of the 4S fumble. Still so disappointed with that so I traded in my 4 and got a nice Samsung Galaxy Note and 5.3 inch super amoled 1280 x 800 res screen and the envy of all my coworkers. Couldnt be happier so meh Apple.

It's truly a shame the most profitable tech company on the planet will lose the sale of "soldier1969." Steve must be turning in his grave due to the great disappointment in the company's direction...

@soldier1969: Yup, the iphone is crap, good choice on the Samsung Galaxy Note. Very nice phone, however 5.3' is way too big in my opinion. It's like a mini tablet.

LOL...4.6? Never happen.
I wouldn't give up my Galaxy Note for anything.
It's the SECOND 5" screen, the streak being the first.
The note blows the streak out of the water, and the latest GB update last
weekend made it even better.
If "Steve" was still around, he'd fire the first person on Apple that suggested anything
bigger than 4".

It's truly a shame the most profitable tech company on the planet will lose the sale of "soldier1969." Steve must be turning in his grave due to the great disappointment in the company's direction...
Lucky he's the only person in the world who thinks the same way then hey?

4.6" screen would be way too big. I'm not a girl with a purse, and i like my phone to fit in my pocket. Any bigger than the current would be a hassle to get in/out with a bumper/case on. Teardrop style should stay canned, as i like my phone not rocking around when i set it down.
As far as the Galaxy (Nexus) goes... how much space does it have? 64gb? didn't think so. Sure, Kingmax is coming out with a 64gb micro SD card, but it will cost an arm and a leg. I won't be getting the iPhone5, but will wait for the 5s. with any luck it will be bumped up to 128gb and even more processing power.

iPhone 5 will have resolution 720P, because anything else will be considered a failure.
They are also likely to stick with the same DPI as iPhone 4. Doubtful they will increase the DPI, and going for smaller one will be critisized. A phone with 720P and DPI of 326 translates approximately into a 4.3" screen. Considering they would reuse the already-good screen matrix, there is no reason for them going for anything different.

Back