Report: PSN may not be 100% back until May 31

Jos

Sony's last update on the ongoing PSN downtime claimed that the company wouldn't bring the service back online until it can ensure the security of the network and your data. The original expectations were to have the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services back online within a week of their shutdown on April 20, but as the deadline came and went, the company was forced to further delay the return following a new security breach.

Talking to Bloomberg today, a Sony spokesperson said that the company was still in the process of adopting improved security systems and was planning to restore full functionality of its services by May 31. That's nearly six weeks of downtime, and while you'd hope to see online play restored in a much quicker timeframe, the report claims that Sony is "uncertain" when the PSN will actually get back up and running.

As part of their efforts to compensate users for the security breach and service outage Sony has announced it will be launching an identity theft protection program in the U.S. that includes a $1 million insurance policy per user, and a "goodwill gesture" that will include free downloads, 30 days of free PlayStation Plus access to new and existing members, and 30 days of free Qriocity service. Sony is working on similar deals for account holders in other countries.

Besides facing a lawsuit as well as legal inquiries from governments around the world, the prolonged downtime of the PlayStation Network is also affecting investor confidence. Sony shares dropped 3.7% on Friday.

Permalink to story.

All those addicted PSN kids can now go outside and get some fresh air and sunshine. :)

Naa guest I simply moved from the PS3 to the PC, Thanks to Steams EA week I am set for oh I dunno, 1000+ hours of gaming on ma PC,

:)

Goodbye ps3 lol I can't imagine all the kiddies trading it in for a xbox! In good times and bad, good old PC is always there to pick up the pieces...

This doesn't really surprise me that its going to take them over a month to rebuild their security system. Or should I say build a security system. From what I understand they broke almost all the 'rules' of a good security setup. They have to more or less start from scratch.

A small part of me does have to find it a bit ironic tho. In the ~3yrs I have owned a ps3, this is the second time I have wanted to play a game online with a friend (Borderlands) and the day after I pickup a copy the PSN goes down :p.

I weep for it so.

Gotta love the ps3 and Sony but also not truly addicted to the console. I can go without it for a bit and if the Sony players are that iffy to trade their ps3 in for an xbox360 then good riddance, just means more bullsh*tters for the 360 lol Currently using my laptop, woot woot for minecraft bahahahahaha

gwailo247 said:
If Steam ever goes down, we'd probably all be compensated by getting several dozen TF2 hats.

I'm pretty sure they'd give out free games, like every time they've ****ed up. Which isn't often.

Why this is information is not posted on the official playstation website?

This is hilarious. I told my friend to buy a graphics card for his computer in the beginning of April to play PC games. I just found out he decided to buy a PS3 instead on the 17th of April, so he got to use it for all of two days. - lol... serves him right for not taking my advice.

Yea i would have to agree with those who said they have moved on to their PC's. I did as well and their is actually software i stumbled across that turns your ps3 controller into something of use rather than a fancy netflix controller.

TO SONY: you have greatly faltered your image and though i will remain a fan through thick and not so thin, get your **** together. Multi-billion dollar corporations have never looked as bad as you have put yourself out to be even though i understand it wasn't entirely your fault. Still patiently waiting? That was a week ago...people are starting to configure their lives WITHOUT your network and that's only gonna hurt you. ANYONE DOWN TO GET THEIR *** BEAT IN LAG OPS? HIT ME UP IN 3 - 4 WEEKS...

Sony arrogantly ignoring threats; a billion dollars in damages. Laughing at my roommate complaining about not being able to play Lag Of Duty; priceless.

Back