Requesting info regarding graphics card specs

Good afternoon everyone,

I should first mention I am new to the Techspot forums.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000, running WIN XP Pro, Intel Pentium 4 dual-core 3.00 gHz CPU, 512 mb RAM, 40 GB hard drive (80% of drive is free), & Intel graphics card 82865G.

The Speccy program displays the following info about the graphics card:

Memory: 96 MB
Memory type: 2

The two questions I have are:

1. Does the amount of memory shown indicate the total memory on the card that is available for playing games on my computer?

2. What does "memory type" mean?

Thank you for your time and review of my posting!

Welcome to techspot!

I should start out by saying you have whats known as an on board graphics card which sadly not many games support, And will not be able to play any graphics intensive games.

To answer your questions, Yes your graphics card has 96 mb available, However check the games you buy support on board graphics.

Memory type im not so sure of, but im guessing its a manufacturing diffrence? The memory speed is the factor that affects performance mainly.

Hope this helps.

A note of thanks...

Thanks very much for the info Fimbles! Now, I can see why some games, such as, Chessmaster Challenge & Dig Dug work just fine, but other games like Ocean Range 2 or Deer Hunter are sluggish (or have actually crashed and given a fatal Error message).

Of the few game websites I've visited, none actually had the system requirements for playing the game. I had to go hunting around on the Internet and even then, I sometimes have found differing info for the same games.

Thanks again & have a nice Memorial Day Holiday! :)

Back