TechSpot

Research shows computers make better medical decisions than doctors

By Rick
Feb 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. By making computers "think like a doctor", researchers at Indiana University claim their contextual "artificial intelligence" framework can one-up living medical professionals in terms of both cost and accuracy. Researchers indicate their approach could cut costs by more than half...

Read more

2. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,690   +60

Yep combining the 2 would be the best move

3. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I totally agree as I think I'd be uneasy about a computer making a decision instead of a human in a potentially life-threatening situation. I'd like to think a unsure doctor would get another opinion. That said it's entirely possible a computer could see something a doctor misses, so their are benefits in either case. Combining both sounds like an excellent long-term plan for providing highly-stressed doctors with an additional tool at their disposal.

4. Sniped_Ash

Sniped_Ash TS Enthusiast Posts: 128   +37

Please state the nature of the medical emergency.

5. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 411   +38

But who will we sue when its the wrong decision??? We must sue someone! This is America! SUE SUE SUE!

Leeky likes this.
  6. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I guess that'll just be a problem unique to the US! lol. :p

7. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 924   +22

Most doctors leave the room after diagnosis and refer to the physician's desk reference anyway. Now its "legal".

8. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

I find the numbers this university is throwing around to be a little hard to believe. It smells like a funding pitch.

9. avioza

avioza TS Rookie Posts: 56   +15

Get ready for 2-1B! A little creepy but I trust him...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.