Researcher claims he can hack passenger jets using in-flight Wi-Fi, entertainment systems

By Shawn Knight
Aug 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Security researcher Ruben Santamarta's presentation at this week's annual Black Hat conference in Las Vegas will be among the most widely watched. That's because he plans to outline methods that he claims could be used to hack an aircraft's satellite...

Read more
  2. File this under "Sh*t people shouldn't know"
  3. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Evangelist Posts: 727   +230

Well of course the airline companies are going to downplay the risks. If they were to admit to the scale of the severity they'd lose a serious amount of business, plenty of capital and and cause mass consumer panic.
  4. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,378   +2,166

The only serious risk is to airlines running Air Bus fleets. At most, hacking an a non-Air Bus aircraft mid-flight will only piss off the pilots and spook the passengers.
  5. GeforcerFX

GeforcerFX TS Evangelist Posts: 489   +123

Airbus has there entertainment system connected to flight systems? Why the hell would they do that.
  6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,378   +2,166

The article states vulnerabilities in the entertainment systems and WiFi could compromise avionics systems. AB aircraft have digital flight control systems. Therefore, unlike the mechanically controlled systems of many Boeing aircraft, Airbus jets, in theory, are more vulnerable to real threats.

My source on the flight control systems comes from commercial pilots I know who won't fly Airbus jets specifically because of the digital interface.
  7. infiltrator

infiltrator TS Booster Posts: 140   +21

It would be considered a serious design and safety issue, to have the WIFI entertainment system rigged to the navigation or flight management system of an aircraft.

One that doesn't really make much sense to me from a safety point of view.
  8. I'm inclined to bet he does not hack a Boeing!