TechSpot

Researchers develop tool to predict what gamers want

By Emil
Jun 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers from North Carolina State University have developed a new method that can predict the behavior of players in online role-playing games with an accuracy up to 80 percent. Theā€¦

Read the whole story

2. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +19

Please send this tool over to EA. Really please !!

3. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Addict Posts: 890   +171

Has to be the most interesting thing I've read today, it will prove useful to many game developers.
    @Hitech0101 Yes! I agree, EA could really utilize this, haha.

4. NeoFryBoy

NeoFryBoy TS Rookie Posts: 72

I'll bet you could achieve the same results via guessing. The study clearly ignores initial bias.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Predicting what people will do based on a detailed analysis of their past actions in a setting which allows you a limited choice of actions, typically oriented around typical RPG elements?

Whoa, there is no spoon.

6. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't RPG's just about getting better weapons to kill harder monsters to get better weapons so you can kill harder monsters? anyone see where I'm going with that?

I bet that other 20% is made up of the gamers that want a life... I'd like to see developers give them that

7. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

True that, but dont wait for miracles? lol xD

8. RPGs are a learned pattern anyway, this does not tell the observer what the gamer "wants" only what they think they should do next in the game.

Example- Kill mob > loot > Kil mob > loot > spend xp > goto next area > repeat

So what, I could have told them that without making a program.

Maybe the gamer is thinking "Damn this would be a good place for a minigame to kill the mob, or I wish you went to a magic castle to spent the xp I just gained" but no the program just tells you what we already know "gamers follow the pattern set out by the game"

9. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

proof of yahtzee's statement "WoW programs you"
    its scary that MMO players are this predictable, almost like lab rats

10. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

No, those are MMOs.

Not to be confused with actual RPGs, in which you play a character with a certain role inside a story of some sort. MMOs take everything bad about RPGs and make you pay monthly for it, with the only "advantage" being able to talk to other people.

11. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

To be honest I'd be surprised if anything new or useful would come out of this that Blizzard would not be able to ascertain for themselves.

12. Sounds good but.....really? this will kill diversity, so...if you divide the 80% into the different kind of players..then you will realise that the thing that they want will be pointed to the players that has no life and not to the good ones....so for me its some kind of useless and if a company use this no mames they will exploit it for profit and not to develop something amazing....with this new toy for the industry, its a must to have somekind of organism that controls the way the companies exploit it...i dont know but this is only for the big group of players that they play because there is nothing more in their lifes...like COD....shoot...kill...die..respawn....shoot...die...respawn...die..respawn....and so on

13. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 600   +89

I can already tell you what gamers want no more F****** console ports!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.