TechSpot

Researchers reveal flexible, stretchable lithium-ion battery

By Matthew
Feb 27, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers have announced the development of a stretchable lithium-ion battery that could have countless industry applications, especially with the rising interest in flexible electronics and the constant advancement of medical tech. By using a process they call "ordered unraveling,"...

Read more

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,977   +908

This is awesome

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,246   +232

I wonder if Boeing will be checking it out :)

4. JC713

lol

5. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,076   +76

I wonder if Trojan will be checking it out :)

6. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 5,246   +232

7. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Maniac Posts: 357   +40

We're getting closer to electronic paper. I can't wait.

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

You could build up quite an electrical capacity if your clothes use this. Maybe your devices won't need large batteries anymore if you're wearing a big one. Knees wirelessly charge laptop, pocket charges cell phone, hat charges Google Glass

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,080   +747

Nice. Now you can sting your buddies behind the ears at school with your cell phone battery if you can't find an elastic band quickly.

10. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 280   +32

I wish they have research about making the battery last for more than a day of heavy usage.
    still this is good news.

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,003   +1,503

They should integrate solar cells with this tech for self recharging possibilities.

12. JC713

it is pretty hard to do that. They have a battery that lasts for a large amount of time(a massive amount of time), it is currently in use with the US army. The reason it cant be used with consumers is because it uses a very, very rare material (I forgot if it was a type of metal or what) that is very, very expensive.

13. TS-56336

TS-56336 TS Booster Posts: 577   +98

And will be first showcased 50 years from now!

As much as I love reading about all these new battery tech, how many of them actually reach consumers? I'm still hoping to see all these techs about having triple the capacity and half the size and all these new materials using carbon nanotubes and all sorts of doohickey actually reach the hands of consumers.

14. JC713

Yeah over the past few years all I have seen improved is power consumption of components(CPU,GPU, etc) not really the battery.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.