Researchers traced a 2.3 magnitude Seattle earthquake's epicenter to a Taylor Swift concert

Jimmy2x

Staff
The big picture: Earthquakes and seismic monitoring are nothing new for residents of the United States' Pacific Northwest. With quakes ranging from 0.1 to upwards of 2.5 in magnitude occurring multiple times a day, most of these smaller tremors don't typically warrant the attention of larger, more damaging seismic events. One specific quake, however, has caught the attention of seismologists due to its surprising epicenter located at a Taylor Swift concert in Seattle.

The 2.3 magnitude quake, analyzed by Western Washington University's Dr. Jackie Caplan-Auerbach, wasn't due to any tectonic activity below the streets of Seattle. Instead, the recorded seismic activity was the result of energetic fans at Swift's Eras tour stop at Seattle's Lumen Field.

Seismic data is collected and reported by organizations such as the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network (PNSN) throughout the Pacific Northwest. Recorded on July 22 and 23, the specific quake activity in question is credited to the energetic dancing, stomping, and jumping of Swift's fans, also known as Swifties. At its peak, the event rivaled the city's Beast Quake of 2011, which was measured as Seahawks fans celebrated Marshawn Lynch's 67-yard touchdown run against the New Orleans Saints.

Caplan-Auerbach was compelled to dive deeper into the data after seeing it surface in an earthquake-related Facebook group that she moderates. According to her analysis, the patterns align to specific songs played during Swift's set on each night of the concert. And while the Swifties only outran Lynch by a magnitude of 0.3, the shaking measured far exceeded 2011's Beast Quake data. According to Caplan-Auerbach, "The shaking was twice as strong as 'Beast Quake'. It absolutely doubled it," recording a maximum ground acceleration of roughly 0.011 meters per second squared.

An earthquake's shaking is reported using peak ground acceleration (PGA), which measures the ground acceleration and shaking that occurs at an earthquake's measured location. That data is often used to convert the measurements to the more commonly referenced Richter Scale.

According to Mouse Reusch, a seismologist at the PSNS, the concert was one of the biggest the region has seen in some time, boasting more than 70,000 attendees. In comparison, the 2010 Wildcard Playoff game between the Seahawks and Saints at Lumen Field recorded 66,336 attendees.

The difference, according to Caplan-Auerbach, is attributable to the type of activity and events that led to the 2011 and recent July readings. "Cheering after a touchdown lasts for a couple seconds, but eventually it dies down. It's much more random than a concert." In contrast, Caplan-Auerbach collected more than 10 hours of data from the concert location, where rhythm, not randomness, controlled the behavior. "The music, the speakers, the beat. All that energy can drive into the ground and shake it."

Permalink to story.

How is this related to tech industry
It ain't related to the tech industry. Unless you want to take into account the fact that computers have helped oil explorers extract so much oil from the crust of the earth that it has left behind enough huge cavernous voids so as to destabilize the crust of the earth, like right out from under the San Andreas fault line, maybe like an earthquake such has never been nor shall ever be again.

My neighbor was taking his daughter to a Swift concert in Nashville in May but was hurt in an accident. His wife had the flu and wasn't going anyway, so I took his daughter and her friend, and man those little Swifties really crank the decibels!

Madness still holds a record with a gig at Finsbury Park back in 1992 when they performed One Step Beyond. It was recorded 4.2⁰ magnitude with a few of the local buildings evacuated

Kind of is tech news - haven't really advanced - puts ear to ground 12 horses coming fast , 2 riderless , 7 stallions , 5 mares - one with slight limp in right front leg

Even detection hasn't got any better - hows he even tracking us over bare rock ?

If Techspot has flaws, its biggest one is beyond their control.
There seems to be a large group of self-appointed article cops walking the TS beat.

An occasional human interest story is beyond comprehension to some.

But since I'm bored and not sleepy, I'm going to tie some s*** together.

There! I feel so......... grown up!

Last edited:
Madness still holds a record with a gig at Finsbury Park back in 1992 when they performed One Step Beyond. It was recorded 4.2⁰ magnitude with a few of the local buildings evacuated
Damn, you beat me to it. I'd read 4.1, with a possibility that it was closer to a 5 - whatever it was, Ms Swift's gig is definitely less impressive when compared to the (impromptu/unscheduled IIRC?) gig they did.

It ain't related to the tech industry. Unless you want to take into account the fact that computers have helped oil explorers extract so much oil from the crust of the earth that it has left behind enough huge cavernous voids so as to destabilize the crust of the earth, like right out from under the San Andreas fault line, maybe like an earthquake such has never been nor shall ever be again.
Naw

Back