TechSpot

Researchers with IEEE create group to plan new Ethernet standard

By Shawn Knight
Aug 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) have announced the formation of a group that will be tasked with developing the next speed grade of Ethernet. The group is expected to include users and producers of systems……

Read more
  2. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 970   +84

My vote doesn't count, but I'd got for 1Tbps. A stepping stone at 400 Gbps is nice, but then it's just going to double the equipment costs getting to 1Tbps. Might as well start closer to the finish line. Then look to the next big thing.
  3. ROBO731

ROBO731 TS Rookie

I agree, I'd rather just pay for the better one than pay once for 400Gbps and then again for 1 Tbps.
  4. It is not cost but time that makes upgrade selection tricky.
    Would you be willing to wait longer for 1TB if you get a 400 stepping stone?

If both were available, would you take a 400 upgrade that you could do in a month or would a 6 month deploy of 1 TB be better?
  5. ROBO731

ROBO731 TS Rookie

Hmm, that's a good point. I'd probably rather wait if it would quicken the development of 1 Tbps, but if they released both and 400Gbps didn't affect the release time of 1 Tbps then I would buy both.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.