Resetting default audio settings?

Cazca

is there a way to do this? i messed with some settings and now music won't come out of my laptop speakers, just headphones.

I know the speakers work. help please :)

You have probably made your headphones default, and turned off the speakers.
In the taskbar, near the clock, right-click on the speaker icon. Choose 'Playback devices'. In the new window, do you see 1 or 2 items? Speakers and below that Speaker/headphones. Right-click on what is showing, and in the list tick the options, 'Show disabled devices' and 'Show disconnected devices'.
Now you should have 'Speakers' line showing, so right-click on it, and choose 'properties'. At the bottom of the box, you see a drop-box that gives 2 options. Make it to be 'Use this device-enable'. Click OK. That should work.

try what mike said ....Also , if that doesnt work, go to the DEVICE MANAGER and uninstall the sound card and reinstall the drivers, that will completely reset the Sound settings

You have probably made your headphones default, and turned off the speakers.
In the taskbar, near the clock, right-click on the speaker icon. Choose 'Playback devices'. In the new window, do you see 1 or 2 items? Speakers and below that Speaker/headphones. Right-click on what is showing, and in the list tick the options, 'Show disabled devices' and 'Show disconnected devices'.
Now you should have 'Speakers' line showing, so right-click on it, and choose 'properties'. At the bottom of the box, you see a drop-box that gives 2 options. Make it to be 'Use this device-enable'. Click OK. That should work.

I've tried that and no luck. I had already fiddled around with those settings, but messing with those settings is what got me into this mess lol.

and Punkid, I tried that too and no luck either :\

Thanks for the replies, you guys got any other ideas?

maybe you should try system restore? i hate it but for some occasions it does its job.

beside, do you have any audio related configuration in control panel? say Realtek or SigmaTel or sth else.

In your taskbar, is your speaker icon showing? , if yes does it have a red cross through it?
If you go into 'Device manager', and get the list of the components on your pc, does your 'Sound' entry show a Yellow warning triangle next to it? If yes, then you need to download and install the correct audio driver for your system.

the computer is a laptop, so there is no alternate sound card.

i tired a system restore, took it back a month ago and it still doesn't work.

when i install the updated audio drivers, it does come with some audio software. is that what your talking about nismo? when i try to access the program it crashes...

and there is no yellow icon next to the sound card in device manager

this sucks. i have no idea why the sound won't work. it was JUST working until i was messing with the sound settings.

if this helps at all,

i was trying to split my sound so that game sound would come through the speakers, and all the sound from ventrilo would come through my headphones.
now i have no sound in speakers and when i click on 'mixer' i have two things always up. Device and Applications. Under device it says Speakers, under app it says System Sounds. I use to never have that System sound thing.

when i install the updated audio drivers, it does come with some audio software. is that what your talking about nismo? when i try to access the program it crashes...
You should reinstall the audio drivers correctly

1. Go to your laptop maker's website. Look under their Support or Download link for your computer model to find the audio driver download file

2. Before you install it, look in Add/Remove Programs (if XP) Programs and Features (if Vista/Win7) to see if your current driver install left an entry there. If you find one, uninstall it.

3. Now run the driver installer you just downloaded from the vendor

the computer is a laptop, so there is no alternate sound card.

i tired a system restore, took it back a month ago and it still doesn't work.

and there is no yellow icon next to the sound card in device manager

this sucks. i have no idea why the sound won't work. it was JUST working until i was messing with the sound settings.

yeah, can u tell what's your laptop make and model no. the program that crash may have cause the problem you're facing now.

i have a dell studio xps 1640. it came with windows vista home premium, now i have windows 7 ultimate on it. the program IDT Audio Control Panel.

I downloaded the most recent drivers for Windows 7 64bit off of the dell website. still no sound.

i did however just try to open the IDT Audio Control Panel through the control panel and it didn't crash. I'll mess around with that and see if I can get it to work i guess.......

okay now when i move around the headphone jack when in the computer the speakers come on and off. so the speakers deff work. i think the jack got messed up somehow.

that is because at any given time only either the speakers will work OR the headphones will work.

okay now when i move around the headphone jack when in the computer the speakers come on and off. so the speakers deff work. i think the jack got messed up somehow.

if the drivers are working perfectly, it can be the jack itself that is malfunctioning.

You remember old-style CD/radio/cass players? When you plugged in headphones, the speakers did not work, the headphone jack was wired up that way. Then pull out the headphones, speakers now work. It's possible your PC is setup that way.

the jack is messed up. i've been moving the headphones around and when it's in a certain position the speakers work. i have 2 headphone jacks and one mic in jack. is there any way to disable the broken headphone jacks so that my speakers will work again?

i tried to disable it when right clicking the sound icon in the taskbar and going to Sounds. it didn't seem to work.

as i guessed before, the jack is malfunctioning, probably the spring which detects the headphone looses so it assumes there is something plugged in and thus disables the built-in speakers.

i don't think disabling it will bring the speaker back, because they work together.

the headphone plug can come out very very easy. if i tipped the laptop, it would probably fall out. so that spring theory sounds right. i wonder if i can take it apart and just force the spring down and never use the jack again..?

i'm not sure that's wise, since the headphone jack would be 'closed'. taking apart the laptop wouldn't be any helpful.

2-5-Phone-Jack-PJ-242-SMT-Phone-Socket-Video-Jack-Headphone-Jack.jpg

if i were you i'd rather try to use very small flathead screwdriver and see if i can bring the spring back so it's not loose. it's very dangerous though. i think it's better for you to see what's inside the jack first. see whether anything can be wiggled.

Hi, These headphone / speaker sockets are fairly cheap to buy, but it can take several hours to get to the board and replace them, even when you know what you are doing and have the right tools.
But I have found that it's easier to use a USB to 3.5mm adapter, costing a few pounds/dollars to get the audio working again.
Of course it means using a USB port up, but a 4 way USB extension can help with that.

I have the exact opposite problem, the headphones aren't working for this device and there is no option for headphones in the playback options only the speaker, all my headphones don't work with this pc but they do with all my other devices

Is there a way to reset the sound settings because I chose the microphone setting rather than the headphone setting for windows 10

Hi @Jack s . A little friendly advise. This is a very old thread. It would be better if you started your own thread. Try to post as much as you can about your problem you are having.;)

If your headphones work in other devices, phone, tablet etc, but not your pc, then it's the pc's audio socket that is faulty.
You can get around this problem by using a USB 3.5mm audio adapter as your sound is also on the USB sockets.
( You could have the 3.5mm socket replaced in the PC, but it will cost you, and you may think the USB adapter is the better answer.)

Back