Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition will hit Steam on Feb 27

Russ Boswell

I've played the Resident Evil franchise since its beginning. It was my introduction to the survival horror genre, and it's easily one of the best franchises to come from the Capcom brand. My favorite, even years after its initial release, is Resident Evil 4. Capcom re-released an HD version of horror classic onto Xbox Live and the Playstation Network recently, and today they're at it again, but this time for the PC platform with the “Resident Evil Ultimate HD Edition.”

The revamped RE4 title will release on Steam and comes with some unique features. For one, all of the textures have been updated in what Capcom calls a “complete visual overhaul.” It will also run at 60 frames per second. You'll also get access to the Steam Community, trading cards, and achievements, so although you may have played this game 20 times over already, these added trophies may force you to play in a way you haven't experienced yet.

A lot of Resident Evil 4's gameplay revolves around fast, absolute aiming, so it will be interesting to see just how well the control scheme carries over onto a keyboard and mouse. Although, Capcom has stated that the release will support gamepads. If you aren't familiar with the Resident Evil series, now is a great time to get an idea of what these thrill-filled games offer. The Resident Evil 4 Ultimate HD Edition is due to hit Steam on February 27th and will cost $20.

Permalink to story.

If memory serves me right, the original version does not support mouse, the aiming uses the keyboard. Hopefully this pc version will have mouse support.

"A lot of Resident Evil 4's gameplay revolves around fast, absolute aiming, so it will be interesting to see just how well the control scheme carries over onto a keyboard and mouse."

Not sure what you mean here author.

A mouse excels at Absolute aiming maybe your a console gamer?

"A lot of Resident Evil 4's gameplay revolves around fast, absolute aiming, so it will be interesting to see just how well the control scheme carries over onto a keyboard and mouse."

Not sure what you mean here author.

A mouse excels at Absolute aiming maybe your a console gamer?

They are meaning how usually console ports, tend to botch up otherwise very obvious controls. IE: Keyboard + Mouse in a way PC gamers are used to. There have been tons of bad ports, that really pick obscure keys. Or bind multiple actions to one key, despite keyboards having more options.

They are meaning how usually console ports, tend to botch up otherwise very obvious controls. IE: Keyboard + Mouse in a way PC gamers are used to. There have been tons of bad ports, that really pick obscure keys. Or bind multiple actions to one key, despite keyboards having more options.

ah my bad I understand now!

If you aren't familiar with the Resident Evil series, now is a great time to get an idea of what these thrill-filled games offer
Wrong. If you aren't familiar with the Resident Evil series, consider yourself lucky. It's been getting progressively stupider with each incarnation and is now at the point where they've written themselves into a corner. Just ignore the rest of the Resident Evil series and its bloated canon, treat this HD remake as a stand alone game and you'll enjoy it.

The best Resident Evil is the Wii edition. Light gun + numchuck is the 27 hit ultimate combo.

I really don't get why so many people think RE4 is the best game in the series. I played through RE4 several times. It's a great game, but it's a bit silly fighting old, pompous midgets in giant low-tech robots. Also, I'm not really a fan of the anime art-style, which is all too evident in RE4. There's just something about anime that puts me off. Like how men look like women, women look like kids and kids look like animals.

Capcom toned down the anime-look in RE5, and the monsters were monsters! RE5 is by far the best in the series, and the addition of co-op made it my all-time favorite game. RE6 was also a good game, with tons of content, but they got some of the little things wrong. Like the camera positioning, half-baked melee system and that annoying thing where the game locks the camera on something you just have to see (which you don't really care about).

Wrong. If you aren't familiar with the Resident Evil series, consider yourself lucky. It's been getting progressively stupider with each incarnation and is now at the point where they've written themselves into a corner. Just ignore the rest of the Resident Evil series and its bloated canon, treat this HD remake as a stand alone game and you'll enjoy it.

Maybe yes, maybe not, but RE4 is freaking amazing.

Capcom toned down the anime-look in RE5, and the monsters were monsters! RE5 is by far the best in the series, and the addition of co-op made it my all-time favorite game. RE6 was also a good game, with tons of content, but they got some of the little things wrong. Like the camera positioning, half-baked melee system and that annoying thing where the game locks the camera on something you just have to see (which you don't really care about).

For most who played the original resident evil's, RE5 was the beginning of the end of RE. I enjoyed RE5 a lot, for what it was. As part of the series though it was very different from what roped in the original fans. There was little to no horror, puzzles were nearly non-existent and I feel the new story didn't really fit in with lore very well. It was much more shoot 'em up and action oriented than series was. So I completely understand when some people hate RE5 and some people love it. Personally, I would like to see a return to the original RE's

That being said, I am def looking forward to this release. $20 seems like a good price, imo

Guest said:
If memory serves me right, the original version does not support mouse, the aiming uses the keyboard. Hopefully this pc version will have mouse support.

I'd rather play this game with Razer Hydra which will give me a much more enjoyable experience than with a mouse.

Guest said:

I'd rather play this game with Razer Hydra which will give me a much more enjoyable experience than with a mouse.
Have you ever even used the Hydra? That thing was about as awkward as dinner with the parents of a one night stand.

I still remember the day when I got RE 1 for the pc and playing it in 3dfx glory. Having come from playing Alone in the Dark this was a big WOW.

Its resident evil 1 or nothing for me. I thought 1 was great on my ps1, loading screens disguised as opening creaky doors, "oh no you nearly became a gerbil sandwich" etc. first time a dog jumped through a window on the foreground when you were headed down the corridor in the opposite direction. awesome. then 2 which felt like it didn't follow on at all. and 3 was worse. 4 worse. 5 wtf. Loved the first 1. Old school

For most who played the original resident evil's, RE5 was the beginning of the end of RE. I enjoyed RE5 a lot, for what it was. As part of the series though it was very different from what roped in the original fans. There was little to no horror, puzzles were nearly non-existent and I feel the new story didn't really fit in with lore very well. It was much more shoot 'em up and action oriented than series was. So I completely understand when some people hate RE5 and some people love it. Personally, I would like to see a return to the original RE's

That being said, I am def looking forward to this release. $20 seems like a good price, imo

It's true, the series has changed a lot. RE1 was simply epic. It made the franchise, after all. But after the events in RE1 things escalated and went out of control. It makes sense (to me) that Chris and the other heroes wouldn't be terrified of every little biofreak anymore, and that they would have learned to deal with the freaks more efficiently, and thereby changing the genre to a more action-packed experience.

One of the things I really did like about RE6 was how the different heroes/storylines had a completely different feel. Playing as Leon, you to experience crypts, graveyards, underground caves and puzzles. He's more of a detective, I guess (dunno if he's actually still a cop). The Ada storyline also had a lot of puzzles, and served up some good survival horror seeing as she didn't have a partner to help. The Chris and Jake storylines were all about action. Chris' most of all, as he's a soldier now, as introduced in RE5.

People forget that the original pc port also lacked dynamic lightning, had lower poly counts, flash effects muffled, etc. So, HD textures alone will not make it look better than the original gamecube version; this is another attempt to milk an old game (see FF7) instead of making new ones that are not crap like the latest installment..

Back