Resolution stuck at 640x480 and 720x480 in video options

justinone

Hey all. I have a realy irritating problem regarding the resolution being stuck in all games video options. I have my pc set up through HDMI to my 28" JVC TV which works fine when on desktop. I have the resolution at full hd 1080p. however in everygame I go on I cannot change the resolution to any higher then 640x480 and 720x480.
Never used to have this problem before and not sure what has happend as it never realy gets used. I tried to switch from HDMI to VGA and it still happends.

I am using windows XP 32 bit and have installed all the latest drivers on my hd5770.

Any help would be greatly apprechiated as im completely stumped at this!
Thanks.

Are you sure that 28" TV can really do 1080p and wasn't just doing 1080i at the desktop?

I agree with LNCPapa. The 28" TV can only display HD resolutions that it supports (typically 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p). I know on my old tube HDTV it only supports standard, 480i/p, 540i/p and 1080i (not 1080 progressive). I say leave your TV for viewing the web, desktop and maybe movies and use a monitor for gaming.

Same problem, hd7850, win 2003 server x64, some kinda sanyo lcd tv that supports 720p and 1080i

workaround:
1. attach a monitor that supports the desired resolution to the other (dvi) output port.
2. extend to 2 screens and make that the primary screen.
3. open game in windowed/borderless mode. all resolutions should be available
4. swap primary screen back to hdtv screen with game open.
5. set resolution or swap between windowed and borderless and the window should reset to the upper left corner of the hdtv screen

It works for at least a couple games, but I notice a big fps hit when I drag the window onto the hdtv screen. Which is weird since I cant see how the software should be doing anything different. and I can drag it back to the monitor's area and framerate goes up.

had a few more relevant details before but some genius saw fit to delete the only relevant post in this topic. Don't feel like looking everything else up again but that's the gist.

Sorry your right it is 1080i. but I ran it at 1440x900 now to get it bigger.

I have tried plugging my other computer into the tv which has crossfire 6950's and it seems to work fine.

something going on with my 5770 or something.

I
workaround:
1. attach a monitor that supports the desired resolution to the other (dvi) output port.
2. extend to 2 screens and make that the primary screen.
3. open game in windowed/borderless mode. all resolutions should be available
4. swap primary screen back to hdtv screen with game open.
5. set resolution or swap between windowed and borderless and the window should reset to the upper left corner of the hdtv screen

I tried this and when I put the 5770 pc onto my monitor it went to the desired res but went back down when I switched it to the tv.

realy dont understand this at all.

Back