Restore disc for Asus machine, company won't help

James Durkin

I bought an Asus CM 6850 used, on E-Bay, It came with no restore disk. I went on the Asus home page and they more or
less said give us your Registration number an $59.00 and if we feel you are entitled to the disk we will send it
to you or will refund your money, they refunded the money and no disk.Have no reason why, its all legit.
Is there a way to make my own. I know I did it in the past with other computers. HP and Acer but never with Asus.
T.I.A.

They seem to have established you are not the original purchaser of the product, and as such, they cannot also sell you a copy of the original OS as supplied by Microsoft, as you are not their tier-one customer. Its a legal constraint.

As for 'create your own', well originally it came With win 7 home premium, and from here http://www.asus.com/Desktop/Entertainment/Essentio_CM6850/#download you can obtain all the necessary drivers. So far, so good. It does, however, require you to buy a retail copy of Windows 7. So now you find a second-hand PC with no OS is not such a bargain at all, simply because the OS, when supplied bundled with a PC, is very, very heavily discounted. Which accounts for paragraph 1 above.....

Unusually, the PC also has drivers for XP and Vista with SATA, so if you actually own an earlier OS, you can install that. Failing any suitable OS install, any reasonable version of Linux is free, and will run like the wind, so although you wont be gaming on it, you can do most other things.

Back